Quantcast

my side lock percussion moutain man rifle like paper patched bullets.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Cattman

40 Cal
Reaction score
its a custom i built my self, brass tacks and all. 36 inch barrel 50 cal 1/28 twist, yes a 1/28 twist. just swagged and paper wrapped around 450 grain 70 ea. bullets for it to day. i use about 60 grains of powder and a wad between powder and pp bullet. will shoot about the same as a 50/70 rifle. it will take a lot more powder but recoil goes up alot also. if i was younger and still hunted i put 100 grain of powder behind the bullet. one shot that hurts a little is ok for hunting. but not for fun shooting. it a tack driver and has simple open sights. low and fine like the old days. the gun does look just like a typical 1840/s precussion half stock but the 1/28 twist makes it a sleeper. i may put a old type soule sight on the back of it if i can find ones that fits. then i could do long range shooting with it.

52Bore

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Should be no problem.
EM Reilly 50cal 1:20 twist, I sold a few years ago. It shot 500gr PP HP & 550gr PP solid conicals over 75gr Swiss 2f really well.
Same load did very well in a modern 50 1:28 as well.
Good luck

Attachments

Idaho Ron

58 Cal.
Reaction score
its a custom i built my self, brass tacks and all. 36 inch barrel 50 cal 1/28 twist, yes a 1/28 twist. just swagged and paper wrapped around 450 grain 70 ea. bullets for it to day. i use about 60 grains of powder and a wad between powder and pp bullet. will shoot about the same as a 50/70 rifle. it will take a lot more powder but recoil goes up alot also. if i was younger and still hunted i put 100 grain of powder behind the bullet. one shot that hurts a little is ok for hunting. but not for fun shooting. it a tack driver and has simple open sights. low and fine like the old days. the gun does look just like a typical 1840/s precussion half stock but the 1/28 twist makes it a sleeper. i may put a old type soule sight on the back of it if i can find ones that fits. then i could do long range shooting with it.
I have been doing this for over a dozen years. My 50's shoot Lee 500 S&W bullets wrapped and sized.

My 45 uses a RCBS 11mm rifle bullet

Cattman

40 Cal
Reaction score
simple and fun to shoot. very very accurate and hard hitting at long range. thanks.

JBeardNC

32 Cal
Reaction score
Sounds like a nice rifle. I like shooting conical's more than round ball myself. What type of wood on your stock?

Josephg

40 Cal
Reaction score
I like shooting these little hollow base bullets in two of my 9.5 mm rifles. They work great for 50-100 yards. If I want to shoot further out can make the mold cast longer bullets. Conicals are fun alright. And very accurate. And I don't have to mess with or carry patching.

Attachments

Notchy Bob

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Paper patching has always been a mystery to me. I wouldn't know where to start.

I think the "new" 1854 Lorenz from Pedersoli is intended to shoot a paper patched conical bullet. The Cap & Ball guy did a video about this. It was interesting.

Anyway, thanks for posting, fellows! Something more to think about in broadening our shooting horizons.

Notchy Bob