• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Powder Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongo40

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Finally got around to taking the final pics of the horn I finished recently, was a buffalo powder horn kit from Crazy Crow, the inside plug is pine, pinned it with the dowel the kit provided then cut the center out with a hole cutter, epoxied the outside piece on then sanded it, drilled and tapped it so I could use the screw in plug in the base also, makes adding powder a little easier. the stopper is a violin tuner, got a bag of them from ebay. The strap is some cotton strap I got from walmart, sewed the leather ends on to hole the leather ties, then a nice Kiowa lady that works at a smokeshop by my home beaded it for me. Used the tip I cut off of it to make me a 50gr. measurer also. Hope you like it but be nice as this was my first attempt at a powder horn. Later
BuffHorn1-1.jpg

myhorn1.jpg

3.jpg

2-1.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

Very nice horn Mongo! Looks like your friend did a nice job beading the strap. They look good together. I'd be proud to carry that horn if it was mine.

Great job Mongo!! Facets are tough to get right, I think you nailed it pretty good. The stopper looks, to me, a little too manufactured for an otherwise beautifully crafted horn, but thats purely a matter of taste. :thumbsup:
Robby

thanks, the stopper on it now has a hole drilled through it for the leather dummy cord and the little black ball on the end broke off, so it looks about right now.

Nice Buff horn Mogo, especially for a first time powder horn!....I'm not a big fan of modern style beadwork, but that looks nice with this outfit!

Now it's time to start working on another..dude!

Rick :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
A good feeling making your own stuff ain't it? Very nice!:thumbsup:

Just watch out how many beans you eat around the campfire.... :wink: :haha:

That's a very fine powder horn. I only hope my first turns out half that well. Congratulations!

Trackerjim, I'm in Elgin, just north of Lawton. Thanks for all the comments guys.

Back