• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My new knife project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Wild Eagle. :bow: :thumbsup:

Well, heres the first pic of the complete kit. LOTS and LOTS of work to be done.

100_1654.jpg

Looks like it would be a good hunting skinning knife. What kind of steel is it made from Rc hardnes ect. I'v used leaf springs for knives before, once you grind the bow out of them they form out preaty good. F.K.

FK, I'm not familiar with the specs of the steel although I know this is proper knife stainless steel, I can find out and let you know. Its currenlty hardened to 64 rockwell. so its pretty darn hard, but still has flex. :v

64 Rc is very hard it should keep a good edge. It looks like it will be a nice knife. F.K.

Well This knife is 99% complete. All that remains now is the cutting edge. I will post pics tommorrow... :thumbsup: Used the most beautiful hardwood for the handles. Mopanie. I am very very proud of my work although there is a few flaws, but still, it was my very first attempt at a knife. :wink:

This is what it turned out like. :grin: All it needs now is a cutting edge and it will feel like a real knife. :rotf: :hmm:

Picture001-4.jpg

Soon I am starting with a batch of 12 knives of another design and hope to sell a few of them.

Thanks Pitchy. It was my very first attempt ever at peening rivets and it was an extremely delicate operation. :wink:

Titus that is great! You ought to be proud!
I like the design! I must admit when I seen the blank I didn't see it finishing up looking like it is. Really like the finished product though! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliment 50cal.cliff. :bow: :bow:

Yeah me neither. :haha: It did a lot for my confidence in making knives. :grin:

Thanks RickD. The cutting edge was done last night and it cuts like a razor. Should hold its edge very good thanks to its extremely hard steel. Started with the sheath last night. Biggest learning curve I have had so far. Should maybe invest in some leather tools too... :redface: :rotf:

Titus,
Although I am a big knife fan,for what ever
reason I dislike S/S,even in my kitchen.
In the kitchen,I prefer carbon knives.My absolute
favorite knife would be damascus steel.Damascus
has a personality of its own.
Although all knives,show the personality of the
craftsman that created it.IMO
Damascus steel is a form of creation in
itself.Not so much the knife created,but the steel
that created the knife.
snake-eyes :hmm:

Snake-eyes, I agree with you as far as factory made knives goes. A proper stainless however, in my opinion, has a different look and feel to it. Steels like D2 and 12C27.

Chris showed me something that opened my eyes to factory/mass produced knives. we took a carbon steel blade and a blade made with the exact same steel as mine (12C27) and the same hardness and compared them in a durability test. The test was to see which one of them can be hammered through a brass coin like a guilotine, by hitting on the spine of the blade, with the cutting edge resting on the coin. The carbon steel lost its edge after the first stroke, where the 12C27 cut it in half after three stokes with the hammer and it was still surprisingly sharp. Then we did a memory test and hit the side of the blade with a hammer whilst about and inch of blade tip was resting on an anvil. The carbon steel bent, and stayed bent where the other flexed and returned to its original perfect straightness. Sounds like total unnessesary punishment, but it comes down to edge retention and the durability of the blade under abnormal conditions. Heinrich can vouch for that, breaking a factory knife in half inside a gemsbuck's neck. :shake: :rotf:

Oh, the other proper stainless steel I almost forgot about, which makes beautiful knives, is N690. Thats what Heinrich's TNS is made of.

Iffn you dont like the shine on stainless steel, there is a way to make it look a bit more rustic and old... :wink: This happens during the hardening process. Before a knife goes into the oven at 1080degC, the profile is wrapped in a special foil (which I dont know how to spell.. :redface: :haha: ). This protects the annealed surface of the knife. If you dont do that, you get very very fine pitting in the steel. That looks great if you want something more antique. I am still looking at doing that with a knife which will be more PC. :grin:

Back