• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Knife Modification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rivets came in.
Sheath Part Deux
sheath part deux.jpg

These rivets were .05 shorter.
And since I like the way it looks I'm not fiddling with them ;)

I like it. Looks like it will do the job and, as long as you are happy with it, then mission accomplished. PM coming your way.

Thank, Tim.

There are some things I'm happier with and others I'm not. Plus I had to use up my last piece of thick leather :mad:
But overall I like this sheath style for the knife rather than the very first sheath I made for it.

sheath part deux2.jpg

IMG_4241.JPG

So it'll do!
Plus I learned valuable lesson about hammering too much on rivets close to the edge on leather. So if this helps anyone that's a good thing.

Pacanis im sorry it puckerf your sheath edge when you peened the rivets!! That stinks!! I have not had it do that on thick leather.

Thanks. No biggie.
Could have been a number of reasons. I did say the rivets were long, but until I set them with the rivet set I didn't realize how long. The heads were like countersunk screws, so that allowed more stem to poke through that I originally saw. But once you are that far...
And for all I know they were "copper-like". They seemed harder than the rivets I used to use forty years ago. Or the ones I makeshifted five years back when I used copper roofing nails and washers from Ace, lol. I probably should have gone that route :)

And for all I know they were "copper-like". They seemed harder than the rivets I used to use forty years ago. Or the ones I makeshifted five years back when I used copper roofing nails and washers from Ace, lol. I probably should have gone that route :)
Anymore, I anneal all of my rivets before I use them. I snagged a butane crème brûlée torch at Goodwill for a couple of bucks and it really does the job- heat ‘em cherry red and stick them in the sink. Just finished a set of tube rivets for my new knife out of .22 magnum casings and a .30 cal blank casing I found on the ground after a reenactment. Hopefully I can find some time to finish it this week.
Jay

Anymore, I anneal all of my rivets before I use them. I snagged a butane crème brûlée torch at Goodwill for a couple of bucks and it really does the job- heat ‘em cherry red and stick them in the sink. Just finished a set of tube rivets for my new knife out of .22 magnum casings and a .30 cal blank casing I found on the ground after a reenactment. Hopefully I can find some time to finish it this week.
Jay
That’s a good idea.

Back