• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My new baby........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frenchfusil

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Just returned from the fort at no. 4, while the event was a bust, I
did acquire a new toy! I picked up a very sweet little flintlock made by gun maker John Buck. The walnut stock has the architecture and lines of a french gun and has beautiful floral tattooing running the whole length of the gun (with the expection of the lock and side plate area). This gun measures 42 and 1/2 inches overall and has a 26 inch round tapered barrel. It has 2 ribbed brass rod pipes and no entry pipe. The lock was built by the maker, he made the lock plate was made from scratch and resembles the lock of a Tulle or the french military muskets while the frizzen and cock he used are English. The trigger and butt plate are Dutch/English style, the trigger is hand forged and the tang screw runs up through the trigger guard and screws into the tang. The butt plate is brass and pinned to the stock in 7 locations. This is a very sweet gun I haven't weighed it yet but it feels like hardly anything, the pictures just don't so this gun justice, you need to get your hands on it to really appreciate it.

P1010057.jpg

P1010055.jpg

P1010054.jpg

P1010051.jpg

I
did acquire a new toy! I picked up a very sweet little flintlock made by gun maker John Buck.

Sweet is an under-statement, that's one fine musket...

Did you get a chance to shoot it yet?

I haven't had a chance to put live rounds through it yet, however in the battle Sunday I did run blanks through it. The ignition was instant, the gun went off every time a pulled the trigger (very nice trigger pull on this piece). I'll be shooting some live rounds Thursday (waiting is murder) and I'll let you know how she does. One other thing that impressed me, was when the safety officer came around for inspection he took a look at it and said "thats a John Buck gun, I love his work" (and he found the need to take hold of the gun to inspect it). Also after the battle I was getting some real envious looks from my fellow natives who where carrying their 11-13 pound besses (I'll also weigh it by Thursday)

P.S forgot to mention she has a serpent side plate with 3 lock screws

Still grinning about his new gun,
Tristyn J Cramer :)

That is a neat gun, it could easily be a replica of a real "parts gun" made in the mid to late 18th century.

Hey, Fusil! I found a site about two years ago that has a picture of a musket very similar to yours, also made by John Buck, except it's a Dutch paddlebutt style. The page is http://sykesutler.home.att.net/musket1.htm. That is one fine lookin' piece you've got there! Let us all know how it shoots/holds up! :RO:

Fusil, I just clicked on the link I put in my last post and it doesn't work. Try typing it in manually if you care to have a look. It seems to work fine that way. Sorry! :what:

Sorry forgot to post a update! I haven't got to shoot live rounds in the darned thing yet! I should be getting it out this week, if I do I'll post up how she does. I however put her through the paces with blanks at Ft. St Frederic (60 some odd rounds in one battle, got the barrel so hot I burned my fingers) She goes of when you touch the trigger and I have had 2 miss fires in about 250-300 rounds. With with a 90gr unwadded charge of 3f she makes a very sweet crack and kicks just a little so you get the feeling your really shooting a gun. I'm letting the metal age (letting a little surface rust get on it). I'll be up at Fort Ti 2 weeks from nowand I'll get some pics of me with it in my garb (and my plug bayonet).

P.S. I am getting worried about some of the looks she gets from my 11 pound Bess carrying comrades...........

Tristyn J Cramer

A.K.A Red Leggins

Guerre Abenakis

HALT! - the barrel will lose it's "brightnes" without you allowing it to rust, 'a bit'. Just don't polish the barrel after cleaning it and over a short period of time, it will dull in colour. Use oil on it as a normal preservative but merely refrain from polishing it and it will dull on it's own, in good time.

Fusil, I agree with Daryl on this one. Just look at my post under the "Barrel's Brightness" heading. If you don't polish your barrel and just wipe it down with oil each time you use it, you'll get your desired result. I strongly advise against allowing your barrel to rust(though I understand the thinking behind it)even a little! Daryl is :RO: on this one. I've used this method on several guns, and each has aged beautifully. :thumbsup:

That is one beautiful fusil. I have been looking for a fusil. Does anyone know if John Buck has a website or catalogue?

Pillowtick, I don;t know about any "official" website for Buck's guns, but, as I posted above, try Syke's Sutlering at http://sykesutler.home.att.net/. They carry a number of Buck's pieces,including one almost identical to Fusil's new baby(except for the stock shape). :thumbsup:

That is one beautiful fusil. I have been looking for a fusil. Does anyone know if John Buck has a website or catalogue?

pillowtick: I got John Buck's number for you, I sent it to you via private message... :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back