• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Hawken Gimmer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanlpuckett

40 Cal
Reaction score
It tool about a month off and on, though am happy with the outcome.
20230729_083007.jpg
20230729_083128.jpg
20230729_083113.jpg
20230729_083029.jpg
20230729_083007.jpg

Great combination: One of the "guns that really won the West", a roll-top desk that might have gone to the West, and the KJV Bible that went along for guidance. Tough combo to beat... and your Gemmer is very well done. :ThankYou: Dale
Thank you, I appreciate it! Just need to add the sights and will be complete. Glad that I re did the barrel and stock, the end results are far better than what I was willing to settle for.

Best

Ryan

Thank you for the compliment! Sorry about the misspelling...

Best

Ryan
Your “Hawkin”* looks nice! What product did you use to finish the metal? I probably missed that info in an earlier post.

If you can get a photo of it in the sun, the color of the stock will really show off.

*Hawken is also commonly misspelled.

Your “Hawkin”* looks nice! What product did you use to finish the metal? I probably missed that info in an earlier post.

If you can get a photo of it in the sun, the color of the stock will really show off.

*Hawken is also commonly misspelled.
Thank you for the compliment, it actually looks nicer in person.. for bluing the furniture, i used Birchwood Casey perma blue, and for the barrel I used Birchwood Casey super blue. I just washed the parts and the barrel in dawn dish detergent and then dried. I then used the Birchwood Casey degreaser. Rinsed in water and dried. Wiped on the bluing solution with fresh clean cotton balls. After the application i let set for about 30 seconds, and rinsed off in cool water. For something like the barrel its going to take about a minute to cover, so to me anyway, that counts as dwell time. Dont let this stuff sit to long or especially dry, this is unless you want to strip it and start over as i had to do. I wore gloves throughout the process.

Best

Ryan

Thank you for the compliment, it actually looks nicer in person.. for bluing the furniture, i used Birchwood Casey perma blue, and for the barrel I used Birchwood Casey super blue. I just washed the parts and the barrel in dawn dish detergent and then dried. I then used the Birchwood Casey degreaser. Rinsed in water and dried. Wiped on the bluing solution with fresh clean cotton balls. After the application i let set for about 30 seconds, and rinsed off in cool water. For something like the barrel its going to take about a minute to cover, so to me anyway, that counts as dwell time. Dont let this stuff sit to long or especially dry, this is unless you want to strip it and start over as i had to do. I wore gloves throughout the process.

Best

Ryan

Thanks for the info. I have a .54 percussion Lyman GPR that needs a re-do and plan to blue the metal.

Back