• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first .36 revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I looked at an Italian .36 caliber Colt replica. It appears new and is in a beautiful wooden display box. Included are a flask, nipple wrench, and about a dozen round balls. I think I'll go back for it in the morning. The price is $250.
Had a brass frame .36 Confederate Colt reproduction. The only issue that I had with it, was that the bolt (the piece in the frame that locks the cylinder in place) broke. No one and I mean NO ONE! had a replacement for it. Even traveled about 150 miles to a Certified Colt Repair shop. Mine was some off-brand Japanese, YEP, that's what the Colt man told me, Japanese, POS. Gave it to the Chief of Police in my home town for a 'wall-hanger.' So, if you buy, be certain that repair parts are available. Otherwise, a .36 is a fun shooter.

Had a brass frame .36 Confederate Colt reproduction. The only issue that I had with it, was that the bolt (the piece in the frame that locks the cylinder in place) broke. No one and I mean NO ONE! had a replacement for it. Even traveled about 150 miles to a Certified Colt Repair shop. Mine was some off-brand Japanese, YEP, that's what the Colt man told me, Japanese, POS. Gave it to the Chief of Police in my home town for a 'wall-hanger.' So, if you buy, be certain that repair parts are available. Otherwise, a .36 is a fun shooter.
A Japanese reproduction would probably be very good, if it's anything like their cars

I had no clue there were Japanese reproduction revolvers. I will have to look up and see what I can find.

I have a Japanese made Cabella scope, its one of the two best scopes I have. They learned their lesson on cheap stuff for sure. I had a couple of original Honda 750ss (Cycles for the unhorsed ) and a CB450. Those were all outstanding machines.

I have not seen a Japanese gun but when I was into bicycles I had Japanese and Chinese bikes. The difference in quality was easy to see.

I assembled these for my three sons as Christmas presents two years ago. The cost was well north of $250 for each. The Pietta 1851, from EMF was more than that.

This past Christmas I added the Tylor’s conversion cylinder in 38 Long Colt, along with 50 rounds of hand loaded cartridges.

You got a real bargain.
IMG_5585.jpeg

Last edited:
I certainly don't want to make this thread "go sideways" but comments have been made about brass framed revolvers so I'll say... The first cap-n-ball revolver I ever bought, and I still have it, is an 1860 Colt Army with a brass frame that I bought new in 1973. I bought the gun, round balls, caps, lube, and powder, all at a local shop. I paid $75 for the package. He didn't have a powder measure, which I later bought elsewhere, but he gave me an empty brass cartridge, and I can't remember the caliber, seems like a .32 or .38 of some kind, that he said was the recommended, 15g I believe. Although I have enjoyed shooting the gun these 50+ years I bought the bag of the proper size balls with the gun, 100 in the bag I believe, and have not yet used them all so it has been shot less than 100 times. I now have a few other cap-n-ball revolvers, and a bunch of rifles the old Colt is pretty much retired. The 1860 Colt is the only brass framed one in my collection. A couple of years after buying the gun I picked up an extra cylinder, including nipples at a local gun show, at Boone NC, and paid $8.00 fit it.

that boxed pistol is beautiful. you guys do you but three strikes and out for brasserrs for me. I do Not consider 25g of T7 to be a hot load with RB yet this is what my new 1858 looks like after about 1k rounds. and its now looser than one of them tic tok chicks...

Attachments

• IMG_1754.jpg
    IMG_1754.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 0
the two brassers I shot out in the 70s I did with real BP and RB. I remember one of them the arbor was so loose you could wilggel it around and the hammer could not reach the nipple. Brassers are useless as tits on a boar hog.

I have not seen a Japanese gun but when I was into bicycles I had Japanese and Chinese bikes. The difference in quality was easy to see.
Other than a brief encounter with an 'odd ball Japanese C&B .36 revolver, which was a total POS, I have owned two Japanese Arisaka rifles both Type 38 in 6.5 Jap. Both excellent shooters with mild recoil, both with machined receivers. Had a chance at a Type 99 in 7.7 but avoided it like the plague. Type 99s came later in the war were called by collectors as 'Last Ditch' and had cast 'pot metal' receivers and were highly prone to failure. Meaning, after 1 shot, they might blow up in your face or after a hundred. It just wasn't worth taking a chance.

I have enjoyed shooting the gun these 50+ years I bought the bag of the proper size balls with the gun, 100 in the bag I believe, and have not yet used them all
Dang Tom. I shoot 75 to 100 weekly thru my 51 Navy (steel). Based on saved cap tins I have shot about 2000 rounds in the last year since I bought it.

IMG_20240323_113912711_HDR.jpg

Here's what my brass framed 1860 Colt looks like now. I am going to start another thread about it.

View attachment 306263
Here's what my brass framed 1860 Colt looks like now. I am going to start another thread about it.
Cant tell what i am looking at. But with all due respect to those that have one, i just never cared for the look of brass. Much prefer case-hardened steel. But that’s just me.

Latest posts

Back