• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My brother forgot the powder.........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"And to someone who doesn't know better, using a jacketed bullet might seem like a good idea."

Might be a shortage of lead balls?

'evening,

My neighbor was given a caplock, and was pretty sure it was loaded. Since he knows I mess with them more than he does, he came to me.

Yup, it was loaded, and since we didn't know with what (guy that gave it to him only shoots modern, so we didn't want to unload it by firing), out comes the worm. That wouldn't bite, so I tried the ball screw. Many hours of cursing later, I finally got it out.
Jacketed bullet in a sabot, but it had a plastic point on it. By luck, I got the screw into that and it bit enough to get it out.

Macon, you may want to try a ball screw. Especially if your brother can confirm the type of bullet in there. It takes a lot of luck, and a good bit of patience to get the screw started where it needs to be.

Mike

This is a bit easier if @Rusnapperhead's friend's flint lock rifle has a chambered breech or e removable vent liner. See @FishDFly's post above. But all is not lost if you have a non-removable vent liner or a drilled touch hole.

See if your friend has 4fg powder for priming. The 4fg powder can be poked through the touch hole. This requires a steady hand and some patience. May need to poke powder through the touch hole several times, but eventually the dry ball will be shot out.

'evening,

My neighbor was given a caplock, and was pretty sure it was loaded. Since he knows I mess with them more than he does, he came to me.

Yup, it was loaded, and since we didn't know with what (guy that gave it to him only shoots modern, so we didn't want to unload it by firing), out comes the worm. That wouldn't bite, so I tried the ball screw. Many hours of cursing later, I finally got it out.
Jacketed bullet in a sabot, but it had a plastic point on it. By luck, I got the screw into that and it bit enough to get it out.

Macon, you may want to try a ball screw. Especially if your brother can confirm the type of bullet in there. It takes a lot of luck, and a good bit of patience to get the screw started where it needs to be.

Mike
Thank you, all he remembers is it was a jacketed bullet and a hollow point.
Macon

do ZERT FITTINGS have the same thread pitch DIA. as all muzzle loading guns nipples? because the MUSKET SIZE, seem much larger.

do ZERT FITTINGS have the same thread pitch DIA. as all muzzle loading guns nipples? because the MUSKET SIZE, seem much larger.
They make Zerk fittings in many thread sizes, both imperial, and metric. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some whitworth or british standard threads out there as well.

painter, thank you so much for your reply to my QUERIE.

This is a bit easier if @Rusnapperhead's friend's flint lock rifle has a chambered breech or e removable vent liner. See @FishDFly's post above. But all is not lost if you have a non-removable vent liner or a drilled touch hole.

See if your friend has 4fg powder for priming. The 4fg powder can be poked through the touch hole. This requires a steady hand and some patience. May need to poke powder through the touch hole several times, but eventually the dry ball will be shot out.

There is an advantage to having 4F or 7F on hand to help with oops. Be hard to poke 2F thru a small hole.

CO-2 discharger.

black-powder-thompson-center-cva_1_35e3412e47b44a8ea8428730c38094b4.jpg
Sounds like the Best Plan!

Forum Rule 9: We do not discuss copper and/or jacketed, plastic/polymer tipped bullets, sabots, power belts, or other 'plastic-wrapped' bullets. Smoothbores using plastic wads and steel shot are an exception to this rule.

Based on rule 9 and the fact that this thread has over 55 posts, some of them answering the original question, I'm closing this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back