• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My 3rd muzzleloader Bull Elk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I'm aware of small caliber potential. I was bring somewhat snarky. I hate those, "is .__caliber big enough for deer?" topics.
I bookmark this to refer those people back to.

This is a good thread to send folks to. He hit it at 30 yards and it required another hit to seal the deal. The 50 is a minimum in Idaho.

This is a good thread to send folks to. He hit it at 30 yards and it required another hit to seal the deal. The 50 is a minimum in Idaho.
At 30 yards, I'm thinking that if the 1st shot had gotten both lungs, instead of clipping a shoulder, he would not have needed a second. I could be wrong though, I can't help but think like a traditional bowhunter when confronted with lethality questions.

Congrats.
You made it sound easy but i know you had a lot of hard work getting it home.
The real work starts once an animal like that is down. It’s quite a surprise the first time you get close to a good size bull elk like that and realize how large it is. And they never seem to drop by the road or an easily accessible trail.

Good hunt, good story.

At 30 yards, I'm thinking that if the 1st shot had gotten both lungs, instead of clipping a shoulder, he would not have needed a second. I could be wrong though, I can't help but think like a traditional bowhunter when confronted with lethality questions.

Exactly 💯 with a PRB a guy has to stay away from the shoulder.
I would have purposefully went for the shoulder but only because my bullets are made for it. Again a great thread on limits and using a PRB 50 for elk.

Latest posts

Back