• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My 3rd muzzleloader Bull Elk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IdahoHawken

32 Cal
Reaction score
Howdy,
Just getting round to posting my adventures from November. On the second day of the season I spotted two bulls high up on an open ridge. There was a intermitent fog, so I used that to cover my stalk. While still trying to get within range, the two bulls retreated into some timber. I thought they had caught scent or noticed me, and that they were gone forever. Turns out, they were just finding a place to bed down out of the wind. When I slowly entered into the timber, I was able to get within 30 yards of this bull. First shot clipped shoulder and lung. He stumbled for a distance, but I was able to follow up right behind him. 2nd shot finished him through lungs. He ended up breathing his last, right at the edge of a pretty incredible cliff. This is the third bull taken with Rachel, my .50 cal using patched round ball. Pionner Mountains, Idaho.
1642985589960.png

Congrats on a nice bull! “Rachel” looks like a CVA Hawken. What’s up with the leather wrap? Is it supporting a break or was Rachel just feeling especially sexy that day? Dressed to kill so to speak.🙂

Nice Bull . Broken throwback tine so he probably seen combat . A successful stalk is always the highlight of the hunt to me . Well done .
His pedicle is getting short so he may be about 6 - 7 years old

The leather wrap looks to me like a cow's knee, if so good place to put it as you said it was foggy out. nice bull, one of my bucket list animals to hunt. CONGRATS on a fine animal and stalk.

Thanks All,

Stykbow,
Rachel was made up from a Traditions kit. Regarding the leather wrap. The first time I took her out elk hunting, three years ago, the wedge fell out. I was camping and managed to make and emergency one out of a large screw. I somehow happened to keep a file in my trucks tool kit. The emergency one fitted a little loose and stuck out the sides. I didn't want it to fall out while hunting, so I made that leather wrap out of a scrap of leather and a leather shoe lace. I made it so it would prevent me from loosing the wedge and I could continue the hunt. I have sinced made a good wedge for it but still like having the leather wrap threre. I also keep a leather cover over the muzzle as I usually hunt in snow. I will take it off when I'm stalking up on something. It happens to be off in the photo as I had just been firing the rifle.

Back