• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My 2020 elk.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IdahoHawken

32 Cal
Reaction score
Howdy, and Good New Year to All.

Didn't do as good as last year, but I still got a bit of meat. Good season with good bulls, but had a hard time getting in reasonable range. (50yds. and under). Lack of deep snow and moderate temperatures seemed to keep the elk on open slopes. I prefer when the snow is deep and the temperatures are as cold as possible. Finally, on day 12, I was able to intercept a group of bulls in the some timber. However, this spike, the smallest, was the only one who gave me a decent shot window. 40yds. with my .50 cal using patched round balls.

Last year I took a 5x5 bull Elk with the same rifle and patched roundballs. The rifle is a cheap kit gun, but after two bulls I have given her the name of "Rachel". Central Idaho is where I do my hunting.
P1060165.JPG

Good to see what a 50 caliber RB can do to such a thick skinned (compared to deer) big game animal. Do those balls pass all the way through are found under the hide on the offside?
Thanks for sharing. That 'cheap kit gun' has paid for its self many times over now, hasn't it? Well done.

Nice elk from both hunts! It's nice to see what your load did.

VA Hawken: you have been blessed to travel in the Bob Marshall. I did a couple of "50 Mile Hikes" there while a Boy Scout. Those trips are very special memories!

Christophero, Despite success, I do plan to upgrade to a bigger gun. The ball did not pass through on either of the Elk I've gotten. On this one I found it in the lung cavity pretty much un-deformed. . Bullet entered into lungs behind shoulder. He ran downhill for about 300 yds. before dying. 50cal round balls are really pretty limited when it comes to elk. My father also killed elk with a .50 round ball for years, and the advice is hit them in the lungs, while avoiding thick areas such as the shoulder, neck, etc. That basically only leaves a spot on the rib cage at back edge of shoulders, which I find hard to hit beyond 50yds.

On my .50, it has a 1-48" twist and I did experiment with concials before the season, but could find none that were as accurate as the round ball. I prefer trying to be traditional as possible anyway. I now have Track of the Wolf parts for building a full-stock .54, so hopefully before next year I can have that ready. My dad put away his old .50 years ago and has since taken elk with a .58 roundball gun. My brother doesn't mess around and uses a .62 roundball gun for elk.

If the mailman ever finds my .45, I may try it with conicals for elk this year, but only if it shoots them well. Otherwise I will be going back to my Lyman GPH .50 with conicals.
Walk

Well Done!! Colorado has deemed the .50 cal PRB too light for elk. Must use a conical. I had barrel issues with my TC Hawken 50 and had it re-bored to .54 with 1/66 but haven't gotten in front of an elk with it yet. Enjoy the tasty meat.

Nice!

I did an early rifle hunt in the Bob Marshall wilderness in Montana, and didn't see any elk for the entire 7 day hunt, so came home empty handed. Still, it was great to be out and the scenery was breathtaking.
The Yellowstone wolves have dropped the elk population in Yellowstone from 20,000 to 6,000. Idaho is tweaking hunting dates so that fewer elk are taken and we miss the migration out of Yellowstone. Once again, the results of the city masses trying to change the rural areas.

ps. sorry, forgot, That is a nice elk taken. More so because you used the rifle of your ancestors.

Back