• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

muzzleloading only hunting guides

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doubtful if there is muzzleloading only.

Almost all cater to all seasons.

Check with guides though. Some do not like specific firearms. Gun without safeties and lever action rifles.

One could easily assume a muzzleloader would be considered in the same light.

Check with them on specifics.

You could also ask for a hunting buddy in your area on this site or a state specific hunting forum.

When you say Southeast I assume the South Eastern US such as North and South Carolina, Georgia and maybe even Florida.

I don't believe you will find a BP only guide but you could find someone who is knowledgeable in the needs of a traditional BP hunter. A good guide who is will not put you on a stand for game where the shots will be 200 plus yards away.

I believe you will have to hunt them down with questions so to speak.

You have really narrowed the field of search a lot.

You might send Cabelas an e-mail to see if they know of anyone.

If there is anyone who would know is Don Causey: www.huntingreport.com.

He is one of the nicest persons around.

If there is anyone is U.S., he is the person to ask.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
bigbore442001 said:
I don't believe you will find a BP only guide but you could find someone who is knowledgeable in the needs of a traditional BP hunter.

That's certainly true up here, and even the ones that know traditional are scarce as hen's teeth. I'd be content with one who has lots of experience with archers.

As a side note, one of my buds is a career brown bear guide. He's never guided a bear hunter with muzzleloaders and refuses to do so, even if he guides them for other species. The thing that's notable about him, he does all his personal hunting with flinters and has been a flinter his whole life. He's now in his 70's and comes from generations of serious traditional muzzleloaders. Sezz he could count on one hand the personal animals he's shot with anything but muzzleloaders. Neat guy.

Guides have a short time to "work". It's only the length of the hunting season.
Why would anyone who is in business limit their clients on the basis of type of weapon if they want to stay in business and pay the bills?

BrownBear said:
bigbore442001 said:
I don't believe you will find a BP only guide but you could find someone who is knowledgeable in the needs of a traditional BP hunter.

In looking for a guide I would be looking for
a person to keep me reasonably safe and comfortable
and put me on the game I am wanting to hunt.
Of course if I am doing my hunting with a bow,
traditional M/L or .300mag I would want him to put me on the game at an acceptable range for what
I am hunting with.JMHO

snake-eyes

"In looking for a guide I would be looking for
a person to keep me reasonably safe and comfortable"

Guides who do not, do not get repeat business or referrals.

Clients with sutures are not good for business.

I never hunted with a guide. However, they stay close to you. They also hunt more or less with people who are not familiar with firearms or good safety habits with firearms.

They have typically refused what they consider less safe firearms.

I have lever guns without safeties and have been refused a guided hunt from 2 different outfits. They both said no lever gun and no gun's without a safety device.

Make sure you tell them what you're using and the fact it does not have a safety on it. Hate for you to go all the way down there and come up empty handed.

If I was a guide I would not hunt with a person who is not familiar with firearms especially if the firearm did not have a functioning safety.

If I was a guide, unsafe safety habits would put a client on the road to home.

Most of the guides I've used were excellent. They were congenial, knew the territory and the habits of the local animals, and made sure you followed their rules which they laid out prior to the start of the hunt.
I had one who hated me because of my job. His wife had just run off with a fellow in the same line of work as I. :doh: Two others were outright crooks. One was arrested the following year by USFWS agents .. thank God.
One insisted that I shoot at every rock, rabbit, can, etc. that he picked out. I figured out that he was just seeing if I could shoot worth a dang before we got into a potential scrape.

All in all, they earn their money.

Back