• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloader!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoupie

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I am interested in the Thompson Center Omega or the CVA Optima Pro 50.cal. I will be using this during shotgun season and the muzzleloader season in my state.

Which one would you buy?

I have also looked at the Encore, but do not know if I really need all the options!

Pro/Cons would be appreciated.

Please keep it to these type of muzzleloaders, as I know there are my types of shooters and guns to shoot!

ASP-e mail: [email protected]

My first muzzleloader was the T/C Renagade .54 caliber flintlock.

T/C is a great firearm to start out on.

My 2 cents worth...

I have an T/C Omega it is one of the best guns I own 1.5" groups at 100yds. Also T/C has a life time warranty on there guns.

I would vote for the T/C primarly because in all of the dealings I and others I know have had with that company it always came out top notch.
If you ever decide to sell your gun, the name Thompson Center carries a lot of weight for all of their products.

I've been a staunch fan of TC Arms since the mid 80's with several percussion & flintlock rifles.
The only advice I would give is to really consider the more traditionally styled TC Hawken.

Inlines are OK (and I actually started with an MK85 back in the 80's) but if you really think you're interested in muzzleloading as a sport and hobby, I would bet that you won't be satisfied with a modern inline very long and will then set that rifle aside and pay out more money for something like a .54cal or .50cal TC Hawken.

Also, if you're going to mainly be hunting in woods, then shots will be in the 25-75 yard range and the longer range capability of a scoped inline won't be of any advantage...
(my scoped MK85 has laid oiled in it's case for years)
Anyhow, enjoy !!

Back