• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloader Tools And Parts?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Smith

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for a catalog I can keep on hand, in physical (not pixel) form, that might be to muzzleloaders what, say, Brownell's or Midway USA is to smokeless.

I have a LOT of smokeless gun tools, and some cross over -- for example, I had to do some lock work on the Kentucky. The sear nose was damaged and I fixed that with the stones kept on hand, and hopefully have kept it from being further damaged due to the half-cock notch being too far out for a tumbler with no fly. It was hitting at times. Now it should glide right over.

Anyway, I would like the ability to, say, put a fly in that cheap Spanish lock if I go that route, or be able to order a generic bridle that would fit with a couple holes drilled and a tumbler modification.

Better yet, a tumbler with a fly that could be ordered in a set with a bridle would be nice -- sort of the blackpowder equivalent to the 1911 sear/hammer/disconnector kits sold in Brownell's and other places.

It would also be nice to have a catalog with tools and parts to drool over... heck, I spend hours drooling over Brownell's! But while it has a bit of blackpowder stuff, it most definitely does not concentrate on it.

Don't get me wrong; I can and have fabricated parts. I could make a bridle and may do so. (I've made extractors and firing pins for obsolete rifles; not hard, just a bit time consuming). It is easier and usually cheaper to just order the danged thing, though.

Sources..? Do they have 'em?

Thanks,

Josh

Yup, those two catalogs cover just about everything. Both have not only parts but tip's and techniques.
Dixie is much more like an old sear catalog with just ton's of stuff and generic parts that can be fab-ed to fit obsolete.

The Track of the wolf catalog is unique, in that it's crammed full of "actual size" photos of locks, bolts, butt plates, trigger guards, well,,everything, tools included. Very handy when trying to find things that'll fit.

If I only had $10 I'd get the Track book first then the Dixie.

Thanks gents.

I didn't see where to order hard copies, but probably just overlooked 'em.

Was watching a Youtube vid from Friendship the other day, and started to get intrigued by this old man doing stock inletting and barrel fitting work.

Reckon I'll need tools for that.

I never realized how specialized this field is. Figured a modern gunsmith kit would cover anything previous... wrong! Very little backward compatibility here!

Wish I had before and after pics of my Spanish lock i worked on, though... first effort and I like how it came out.

Thanks again, folks!

Josh

Funny, got a highschool buddy that went to school here in MN to learn Gunsmithing. Two year private course, all the students get hired before they finish from this place.
Anyways, the first thing they did was a muzzle loader kit of their choice, they had to buld/fab much of it, basic skills first. That's been over 30yrs now and he's still a smith.
(Man time fly's)

The problem with catalogs is sometimes they are old. I got one from Dixie that almost nothing was up to date.

Online catalogs are much more reliable.

Capper said:
The problem with catalogs is sometimes they are old. I got one from Dixie that almost nothing was up to date.

Online catalogs are much more reliable.

True enough. The downside is I can't keep a computer at my workbench without ruining it. :(

necchi said:
Funny, got a highschool buddy that went to school here in MN to learn Gunsmithing. Two year private course, all the students get hired before they finish from this place.
Anyways, the first thing they did was a muzzle loader kit of their choice, they had to buld/fab much of it, basic skills first. That's been over 30yrs now and he's still a smith.
(Man time fly's)

The old gunsmith I studied under until he passed kept throwing old, worn out 1911 pistols and old rifles (mostly .22 rimfire) at me. They were no longer serviceable for the most part, frames cracked and such, but same basic idea.

I don't know, however, that I'd use that approach. I see too many differences between smokepoles and modern arms.

Far as I can tell, the sidelocks have more in common with old-timey door locks (and thus, probably the origin of the name) than with modern firearms' lockwork.

Just one man's opinion.

Josh

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep Dixie, TOW and Log Cabin catalogs on hand for the information as much as ordering! :hmm:

Yep Necchi, the TOW catalogue is purty and I sure nuff would love to have one for my bench but your $10 would only pay for half the cost of getting one in the"great white north". Yep it costs $20 to get one here and I just can't seem to justify paying $13 shipping on a $7 catalogue. Myself and a buddy, both long time customers who have spent significant amounts of dough there, and still do, wanted one when they first came out. We thought we might get a break being good customers and all but Mr Ripplinger wasn't having any of it. His attitude was if you want it pay for it. I understand he's not in a charity business but come on........ Anyway we refused to buy it more on principal than anything else. Even when I bought a complete Lancaster kit I didn't get one. As soon as I added it in the shipping jumped by $13 so I took it out. I long for the old days when customer service was not just lip service to people who put bread on your table. Cheers

One word of caution, I loaned my tack of the wolf catalog out and it took 6 months to get it back. there's a lot of good stuff in there. If I was younger I'd say the pages were sticky and well used but i know it would have been from drool

I just wish one of the catalogs would have a coil main spring tool for the T/C and Lyman locks,screwdriver are hard on the fingers.

You can find that coil spring tool at Brownells. When you begin dealing with what are "modern" parts, go to the modern gunsmith supply houses. Coil springs are NOT traditional. The metallurgy simply was not advanced enough to give us good wire to make them until after the middle of the 19th century- and, really, springs didn't really get reliable until WWII. :thumbsup:

If you are interested in removing the spring pressure so that you can remove the hammer, the tumbler, the sear or the fly you can improvise with a small or medium sized pair of Vise Grips or similar locking pliers.

To use these, with the lock removed set the hammer to the full cocked position.
You will notice that the small rod that runs down the center of the spring is now sticking out of the front of the guide in front of the tumbler.

Adjust the locking pliers so that they slightly interfere with the protruding rod and then close the jaws down, adjusting the adjustment screw as needed to provide a firm grip on the rod. Make sure the front of the pliers are butted against the rod guide.

With the locking pliers holding the rod which in turn holds the spring in a compressed condition you can push up on the sear arm to drop the hammer from the full cock position.

Now, all of the locks parts can be removed except for the spring and the springs guide rod.

The only word of caution is that the locking pliers must not slip or inadvertently be knocked off of the rod. That would shoot the rod across the room causing it to be lost forever. :(

Rogue River said:
Track of the Wolf!
I have found this as the best as well, plus the Track catalogue has full size pics of the furniture for referance.
Dixie is crazy expensive :youcrazy:

paulvallandigham said:
You can find that coil spring tool at Brownells. When you begin dealing with what are "modern" parts, go to the modern gunsmith supply houses. Coil springs are NOT traditional. The metallurgy simply was not advanced enough to give us good wire to make them until after the middle of the 19th century- and, really, springs didn't really get reliable until WWII. :thumbsup:

I have yet to see a tool that works on the coil spring in any "modern" lock that are in the T/C and Lyman.

I'am sorry that I can NOT afford a TRADITIONAL muzzleloader in your eyes or standards,I have to work with what I have.

I joined this forum because I enjoy shooting my Hawkens and Great Plains MUZZLELOADERS,and hope to learn alot from some knowledgeable people,NOT to be told my equipment is "modern",when in my eye it is the best I can afford.

Back