• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloader hunting requirements in your state

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseJames

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is Jersey:
1 - you have to take a rifle/muzzleloading safety course no matter if you have already taken a shotgun safety course;
2 - after completing the safety course,you have to buy a rifle permit-$19.00 every 2 years;
3 - now you must buy a firearm license - $27.50;
4 - you can use a muzzleloader during firearm season,but you cannot use a muzzleloader during permit shotgun season. i can't explain why;
5 - to hunt during regular muzzleloading season you have to purchase a zone permit for the area that you are going to hunt - $28.00,and you can purchase as many zones as you like...you can kill 1 buck and endless does..the zone that I hunt there is 21 hunting days..some zones go as high as 62 days;
As long as you have the time and the money,you can hunt here in New Jersey......

North Carolina:
First time hunters must take a 2 day Hunter Safety course where regulations and various types of firearms are covered, and have to have the certificate to buy a hunting license.
If you already have a previous year's hunting license, you don't have to take the course, simply show the previous year's license...however, I sat through it with my Son several years ago when I got him started and was glad I did...it was a good time for us, and it never hurts to get a refresher

Annual statewide basic hunting license is $15
+$10 for big game
+$15 to hunt on state game lands
+$10 state waterfowl permit
........OR.......buy a $40 "sportsman license" and get all the above PLUS all fishing

There are four different season 'zones' across the state from East to West.
A special week of "ML only" preceeds each regular gun season, however, ML's can continue to be used throughout the regular gun seasons like any other firearm can.
Six deer tags per year...4 Bucks + 2 Does most of the state.

Here is Alabama new hunters have to take the Safety course. I have been grandfathered in for years. I purchased a life-time license twenty something years ago for less than $200. Our season runs from Nov 16th to Jan 31. Most counties are two deer a day. They do charge for hunting on state managed areas, but I don't know the amount. Most of the state hunting land is taken by hunting clubs.

Hey Jesse;
I was born and raised in New Jersey. I left there in 1979, running just as fast as I could! I have never looked back.
heheheh. Just funnin' wit ya. I do go back every few years to visit the old folks.
Down here in Tennessee new hunters need to take the hunter safety course. Other than that there isn't anything special you need to know about muzzleloading.

Rocky
Every two yrs just to hunt with a rifle. $19.00 All the lic and permits it can send a man broke.
If you don't have your rifle permit on you it is a ticket. I keep it right in the lic holder.

jessejames -Do you have to get a rifle license evey two years just to keep your rifle? Rocky
wink.gif

In Michigan all hunters born after Jan. 1960 must have a hunter safety cerificate. Senior firearm Deer is $5.60 an Doe tags are $7.oo and you can buy one each day for most of the State, not all.. Nonresident deer $129. Most I belive buy the combination license, resident $28 an senior $11.20. Combination you can take two bucks ,one has to have more than four points on one side. Rocky
wink.gif

Rocky, did you mean to say one buck has to have MORE than 4 points on one side or did you mean to say AT LEAST 4 points?

More than 4 points on one side would mean at least 5 points on one side, which under normal conditions would be a 10 point buck...so at least one buck must be a "10 pointer"???

quote:Originally posted by roundball:
Rocky, did you mean to say one buck has to have MORE than 4 points on one side or did you mean to say AT LEAST 4 points?The last thing you need to do when hunting is MATH...

If you are close enough to see how many points there are on the buck, then the buck is close enough to see what caliber muzzleloader you are shooting...
grin.gif

Don't see to many bucks up here in muuzleloader season. They have been chased around all yr . Beside that they are taking there rest from all the hard work that they have done with the does. Move at night. Some zone have point restriction but not the whole state.

Yes, with muzzleloader ranges in thick woods, I rarely have time to study one long enough to see each and every point...as long as it's pretty obvious there are multiple / several tines, ie: so it'll be a 6 or 8 pointer, then later on the brow tines that I didn't see just become icing on the cake;

We're lucky in NC with our special ML season right when the seek phase of the rut is getting under way...bucks are cruising for does during the daylight

quote:Originally posted by roundball:
Rocky, did you mean to say one buck has to have MORE than 4 points on one side or did you mean to say AT LEAST 4 points?The answer to all of your 4-point dilemmas...

Screw on antler tips...
grin.gif

Take an old set of antlers and cut off all of the tip points (about 2 or 3 inches), drill out the base of the tips and eppoxy a wood screw into the tips with the threads aiming out...

Carry a handfull of these with you when hunting, if you shoot a 3 point buck, no problem...

In just a few minutes that 3 pointer can become a nice 9 point record book quality throphy, fit for mounting...
grin.gif

Wait until I post the female-to-male pheasant conversion kits...
rolleyes.gif
grin.gif

This is of course, a joke...

I do have a slite problem with the antler restriction, Ohio had one too...

I seen many hunters shoot a doe or a small antlered buck and then leave the deer to rot because the deer didn't measure up...

Yes Roundball at least 4 point. A hunting compamion shot a 170 lb. six point,he had it mounted. It would not have been legal for the second tag. You can't get away with much here can you. I mean this forum. Rocky
wink.gif

Latest posts

Back