• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

muzzle flutes.............

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like White Buffalo's design. The flutes on Birddog6's gun are overdone for my taste.

On the other hand, I'm glad to see builder's try new ideas to set their guns apart. Who knows, maybe a 20th Century design school will evolve.

for what it's worth, i think it looks quite attractive. true about the Dremel... high fiasco potential... (luckily it was me and not the piece ... flesh heals, metal doesn't)

msw

I'd think twice about fluting the bore at the muzzle... Yeah it would make it easier to load, but God only knows what it would do to your accuracy. If I were going to do that I would cone the bore with a coning tool first so that the flutes didn't cause an issue.

I think it will look great.Its funney th think that men and women back then stuck to a certain set of guide lines when it came to there stuff.As a guy had some down time would it be impossible to think that he may looked at his stuff and think "hey this would make my stuff look relly good " or would he leave it the way it is to be period correct ? people back then were basicly the same as we are now.Just look at our cars and houses and our other personel things.Sure a Lancaster long rifle would have been made in such a way that you could maby tell ahere it came from and who made it but I would but 3 pay checks that if you dig arould you will find little astheticly pleasing mod's made to the personel gear that survives today.It is silley to limet ones self to specefic guidelines because of rules that some judge made that runs a rondy some where.Go for it White buff and if you can would you tell me how you did it and got the flute's uniform? And STUMP KILLER I tried to do what you did to one of my Green river knives but the file wont cut it.Do I just power down on it or do I need to annel the tang first ?

here are some pictures of my idea of the flutes i want to put on my barrels muzzle....

327196.jpg

327195.jpg

this is the sample piece that rice sent me so i can test my rust blueing on....i did all 8 here to see how it looks so i don't mess up my barrel....plus when i rust blue it i can see what it will look like in the finished stage............bob

I like it! It definitely gives it a custom look. :imo: No one will think it's one of them Italian guns when you get it done. I bet it will play sweet music when you're done with the rifle. :thumbsup: Keep us posted.

here's a picture of the muzzle of my gun so far with no nose piece....and the muzzle flutes will be on the end of the barrel that protrudes past the stock.............bob

327203.jpg

Been there, done that, liked it, but for some reason I can't get the pic to post.

I think your idea on a half stock would look kinda neat, but I'm not sure how this will look on a full stock rifle. It all depends on what style (if any) nosecap you plan on using.

Most of the guns I've made/seen only have about 1/16 to 3/16 of an inch of barrel protruding from the end face of the cap.
If there were grooves in the side of the barrel where the cap will fit, it would leave large gaps between the bottom of the grooves and the top edge of the cap.
If you formed the cap so it fit tightly into the grooves, it would "lock" the barrel into the stock. To remove the barrel would require pulling the cap forward to disengage the grooves. Then lifting the barrel out of the barrel channel.

Something to think about.

:)

I do that on the muzzle of all of the rifles I build, not on my blunderbuss though.I use a round needle file to make a center groove on each flat and a triangle needle file to make a small cut on each side of that.Not long flites ,just short ones.Looks great after being browned and as I am loading my rifles I am looking right down onto the design around the muzzle.Different strokes for different folks!Go for it!!!
J.J.

1_muzzle_of_75_Hawken.jpg

Finally got the pic to paste on here, .75 cal Hawkin. I've done a lot of muzzles this way, even on pistols, I like the look. It's just a notch, looks the same from the side as the end.

Looks like the spline on the PTO shaft of my old tractor,,, :winking:
To each their own, if you like it that's cool, but not something I'd put on a traditional gun. Every one has their own idea of what's cool. :peace:

Back