• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mustard patina

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I polished an entire lock yesterday. Both sides of plate and hammer. The other parts are very clean and function great so I didn't touch them. I put a thin layer if mustard on the plate and hammer. Within 45 min. Both parts had a cool looking patina after washing off with water. Left a light grey look and some design. I done some reading and proceeded to put a heavy layer under and on top of the parts as they lay on plastic wrap.
Folded it over and now they will sit for 2 to 3 hrs at least. Later I should have a couple pics so we can see what it does.

Ok here's pics. I can see the change but the camera doesn't show it. I believe the plastic wrap and having such a heavy layer of mustard kept the air away from the parts and sort of blocked the reaction of metal and the acid in the vinegar. I had a great response earlier with just a thin coat of mustard and no plastic wrap in only 30 to 45 mi. I'm doing it again. So here are these pics more later. Stay tuned. Sorry my mandolin was in the group.

Attachments

• IMG_20230806_180151.jpg
    IMG_20230806_180151.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230806_180154.jpg
    IMG_20230806_180154.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230806_180336.jpg
    IMG_20230806_180336.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230806_181701.jpg
    IMG_20230806_181701.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Notch Bob. Someone had spray painted the mandolin black thick good black paint.Hope I can get all together.Frets , binding keys, headstock veneer.

Well my experiment was a flop. Had some nice grey and brownish patina. It washed off with just water running over it. I like my bleach method. It makes a very nice patina and pattern. And steel wool does not remove it.

My brother gave it to me. Someone had spray painted it black.its getting a complete work over. I've gotta do frets,, binding,, headstock veneer,,keys.I played mandolin at Ky. State fair, iwas in 5th grade I believe.
Gonna try learning some with it. I'm a guitar gospel bluegrass picker now.

Back