• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Musket range report

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepperbelly

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I managed to get some time to shoot the musket today after my falling plate match.
I have to admit I was a little unprepared. I haven't managed to find any jags to use with the stock ramrod that came with this Pedersoli 1777 Charleville. It wasn't a problem until I goofed up and tried to wipe the bore with a patch- and it came off. I did shoot it out but I see a problem coming. My range rod is too short, so I am going to have to get creative.
The only .69 caliber roundballs I could find were at Cabela's and seem to be a little bigger than I need. There was no way to use a patch with them. I had some pillow ticking and the prb would not start.
Shooting an unpatched rb I did manage to have 2 rounds touching at 25 yards- a little low left. I was using 70gr of FFFg. That's what I have so I used it. There was a little fouling- that's when I decided to wipe the bore.
I also bought 2 flints from Cabela's. One was too long for the frizzen to close when at half-cock but the other was just fine.
Basiclly OK accuracy, lots of noise smoke and some recoil.
I am still undecided if I really like it. I really like a rear sight. The flintlock is interesting, and I didn't flinch when it went off.
If I do decide to trade it I will stay with a flintlock. It's a little more involved than a caplock, but it is fun.

Jim

A .69 caliber musket uses a .670 round ball. Muskets aren't for everybody but they sure are fun when you get the hang of them. You can also try loading some buckshot and see how it does at 25yds.
Just load powder, wadding, buckshot then more wadding to hold them in.

I had a Pedersoli 1777 Charleville and liked it quite a bit. I too used 70 grains of 3f but with a .662 roundball and I think it was .015 patching. It would thumb start and load very easily all day while still giving decent accuracy. I also tried 3 .32 balls on top of the .662 roundball to good effect out to between 20-25 yards. Both 1" and 7/8' flints worked well. Just keep checking the jaw screw to keep the flint tight as mine would work lose after a few shots and not give good spark. I used the rear barrel band as a reference for elevation along with the front site/barrel band. Hard to explain but it worked. Stay with it as once you get comfortable with this weapon it will serve you well. The only thing I didn't like was the VERY HEAVY trigger pull. Crooked Eye

The roundballs I managed to get are .678". I will order some .662" if I decide to keep it, or find some locally.

And you ain't kiddin about the heavy trigger! The first time I fired it I thought I hadn't cocked it.

Jim

Back