• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Musket of Unknown Origin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sqornshellous

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi again, folks.

Here is the second weapon for which I could use help in identification. Realistically it is almost certainly a replica, although I cannot be certain of what manufacturer or era. To my knowledge, the owner had been in possession of this for perhaps three decades. Curiously, they lived in the dry Mojave desert of Southern California so I cannot readily explain the rust and corrosion. Any help is greatly appreciated. This was part of the same collection as the previously posted Swiss/French rifle estimated to date from the mid-18th century. Let me know if more photographs are needed. Thank you!

20160905_112055_zps7xhvtigl.jpg
20160905_112113_zpsi6a2ljjj.jpg

20160905_112139_zpsjhs1rgdt.jpg

20160905_112154_zpsllxiviuf.jpg
20160905_112217_zpsksykm3m9.jpg
20160905_112526_zpsxafo9myc.jpg
20160905_112323_zpsc7llpg5q.jpg
20160905_112412_zpsjbiskmoj.jpg
20160905_112442_zpsq10cr44r.jpg
20160905_112542_zpsrygwvcjz.jpg
20160905_112606_zpsaihtcgw2.jpg
20160905_112703_zpshprcvqde.jpg

I think the BP beneath a crown in a British BP smoothbore ML mark. However, someone who knows a lot more than I do will no doubt identify the musket firmly.

Pedersoli made a Grice 1762 Brown Bess repro. This could be one. Whatever, it's well worth cleaning up.

It is indeed a Pedersoli Brown Bess and it has been upgraded by a former owner by adding the correct rounded side plate and the buttplate tang has been lengthened too. Kit Rqavenshear sold those parts for the upgrade. The Pedersoli sling swivels are all wrong and I'm surprised they weren't replaced too. I believe the stock was refinished as almost all of them were of a light color. The proofs and other markings would be on the left side of the barrel near the breach. They weren't stamped deep and could be hidden by the rust there or they may have been removed by whoever did the other work. Some 0000 steel wool and WD-40 will remove a lot of the rust and leave you with a representative Bess that has had a little less than ideal care in the hands of a Colonial. If the bore looks like the outside it can be honed and will shoot just fine. From the discoloration of the buttplate I might guess it was stored standing in a dirt floor building or a basement that saw some minor seasonal flooding

Sorry to disagree, but this looks like one of the long land versions that were retailed in England by a company called Coach Harness in the 70's. I've had two. Don't know if they shipped to the USA, or if the manufacturers did (prob Pedersoli). They are quite sought after over here. Not totally correct, but a good try.
Barrel length would be the teller. Is it 46" or 42"

It' is one of the late LLP muskets that were produced or at least assembled in England and available through Dixie Gun Works, and perhaps others, in the late 1970s. I got one in 1979 from them and had it for years til the idiot bug bit me and I converted it into a 24" barrel horse gun. Then it was stolen and I gave the remaining barrel to one of our posters here as a project! Never once claimed to be anything but an idiot! :rotf: Would love to find another!

Thanks for the info. If I can clean this up, would I be able to find any marks from the manufacturer? Also, what would something like this be valued at? Thanks.

WOW!! Nice find. I've never actually seen one. But I do remember when it was listed in Dixie's catalog. Maybe as early as the mid-70's (?) Yes, I remember the description mentioning they were made in England in limited quantities. I remember they were expensive at the time. Iwould have bought one if my young self had the money back then LOL.
Again, congrats. Nice find.
Rick

Probably marks on the underside of the barrel. Remove pins carefully and the tang screw. If you're lucky there won't be too much rust on the underside. Don't know the value in USA. Here they are pretty rare now.would think $1300 dollars +.

I saw one of these for sale in a shop in northern Ohio for $1000.00 I believe it's still for sale so maybe it's priced a little high at $1000

simon said:
Sorry to disagree, but this looks like one of the long land versions that were retailed in England by a company called Coach Harness in the 70's. I've had two. Don't know if they shipped to the USA, or if the manufacturers did (prob Pedersoli). They are quite sought after over here. Not totally correct, but a good try.
Barrel length would be the teller. Is it 46" or 42"

I remember them being advertised when new and that company was still making them, but they were prohibitively expensive at the time for me, as much as I lusted after one.

I am extremely interested in the points you mentioned that were not correct/authentic on them, though? I have never had one in my hands to examine one. Not sure if I will ever come across one, but have always wondered if they were worth buying - even if one has to do some work on them?

Gus

The one I got through Dixie was well made and a virtual copy of what an original late LLP would have looked like. Touch hole was well positioned and she always fired first time out...assuming I had the flint well secured! Only markings were the BP black powder stamp on the barrel and under the lock plate...that one always puzzled me since I have no idea why it would also appear on the back of the lock plate!

Not 100% sure any more...but memory says it may have been a smidge straighter stocked then the Pedersoli. It was a comfortable gun to shoot, for sure. Would love to find another!

Thanks Wes,

Those muskets were too expensive for my finances "back in the day," but if one became available nowadays, I might be willing to fight off the Guardian Moths in my wallet and allow enough money to escape to purchase one, myself. I would very much like to see one in person.

Gus

Very close to originals. I've seen one worked on by someone who really knew his stuff. Came out lovely. Well worth getting if you can pick one up for a reasonable price.
Simon

Back