Musket Barrel Covers?

Discussion in 'Accoutrements' started by Stantheman86, Oct 23, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Oct 23, 2019 #1

Stantheman86

Stantheman86

Stantheman86

32 Cal. MLF Supporter

Screenshot_20191023-010716_Chrome.jpg
    Le Pierre leather sells these but you could easily make one I guess.

Other than giving you somewhere to grab and not burn your hands in the heat of competition shooting, is there any legitimate historical for these?

I noticed a reenactor at a living History event had one on a .58 Springfield musket.

2. Oct 23, 2019 #2

hawkeye2

hawkeye2

hawkeye2

58 Cal.

I have never seen reference to one in all the research I have done on Rev War and Civil War nor have I seen the remnants of one on any period firearm. There are times when one might be handy but a glove works fine too and is more authentic. Very easy to make but I'm surprised a reenactor had one at an event.
    The confederates used canvas, both painted and natural, in place of leather in a lot of their gear but I have never heard of a painted canvas revolver holster like they offer.

3. Oct 24, 2019 #3

Stantheman86

Stantheman86

Stantheman86

32 Cal. MLF Supporter

I'm thinking these are a "historically inaccurate " item made for match shooters , for convenience so you don't have to grab a barrel heated by rapid fire, and don't want gloves so you can load as fast as possible?

Maybe the reenactor I saw was a Skirmish shooter?

Or it's a way to break up heat mirage for target shooters?

4. Oct 24, 2019 #4

hawkeye2

hawkeye2

hawkeye2

58 Cal.

The wouldn't be allowed in the N-SSA. I have tried a glove on the off hand as a lot of shooters do. I didn't like it but if it hindered loading at all no one would use it. My wife shoots with gloves, trigger finger hand has the fingers cut off and it doesn't bother her loading/shooting. I was having a good day a couple of years ago on an extremely hot August day and the barrel got so hot in each event I couldn't grip the barrel/stock to hold the gun to load. I slipped a rag through the upper sling swivel to grab while loading. I still won't wear a glove, just don't like it. I remember having the barrel of my Bess so hot at reenactments that it almost blistered my fingers, had to hold it by the sling swivel while I loaded, still no glove or barrel cover. The only gun that should have leather round the barrel is the Sharps & Hankins Navy carbine. :) Pain builds character so just grin and bear it. ;)

5. Oct 25, 2019 #5

Stantheman86

Stantheman86

Stantheman86

32 Cal. MLF Supporter

Maybe just a "gimmick " for range shooting?

6. Oct 25, 2019 #6

Calum

Calum

Calum

40 Cal.

As has been noted by others, I've never seen anything similar in period photos or documentation. Among the Civil War crowd that I've seen, it tends to be the less authentic who use them. Another downside to them is the promotion of rust, since from what I've seen, they're not removed for cleaning.

Mike

7. Oct 28, 2019 #7

Pete44ru

Pete44ru

Pete44ru

45 Cal.

Someone's take on tampions - a muzzle plug to keep unwanted matter out of the barrel.

8. Oct 30, 2019 #8

Pete G

Pete G

Pete G

50 Cal.

.....and that is why so many old guys are such characters.