• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mt. Vernon Battle Reenactment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:thumbsup: I wish that US reenacters doing the highland RGTs would learn that they wore overalls in the field and the correct length for the kilt is below the knee, wearing the kilt as a shirt is groosly disrespectfullto those who have been in the regiments for the last275 years !

1601phill said:
:thumbsup: I wish that US reenacters doing the highland RGTs would learn that they wore overalls in the field and the correct length for the kilt is below the knee, wearing the kilt as a shirt is groosly disrespectfullto those who have been in the regiments for the last275 years !

Though physical ailments forced me to stop doing a Private Soldier in the Major's Coy of the 42nd RHR in 2005, I can assure you we knew that in many of the battles, that overalls were worn instead of Philabeags (Short Kilts). (Yet, we had documentation that Philabeags were worn in some of the battles.) Highland Regimental Reenactors here also participate in Battle Reenactments and events that their original units never fought in or participated in. However, these are anachronisms we live with because most tourists would never realize that Highland Regiments fought here, if we did not wear Philabeags. We had actually been asked to wear our Philabeags by some Event Hosts when we had planned on wearing overalls.

However, your information on Philabeag length is mistaken for the AWI. It is well documented that Highlanders here wore much thicker and stiffer Tartan than we actually wear nowadays, but the length was above the knee and sometimes so short it would have been difficult to cover oneself for modesty. I can assure you that many of us would have liked to wear longer length Philabeags (and a few folks did/do), but it is not correct for the period.

Gus

BTW, our unit was formed as "The Major's Coy," in part because our Commanding Officer was a retired Major and Battalion X.O. of The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) of Canada. I did not realize that when I first spoke with him about joining the Reenactor Unit, though I quickly realized he had the bearing of a real Officer.

We had many U.S. Veterans in our unit and some of us were retired from the Army and two of us were retired Marines. Many of we career Marines hold the ancient and more modern Black Watch with special high regard and were greatly disappointed and saddened when the Regiment was reformed into the Royal Regiment of Scotland.

Gus

I'm familiar with many, most if not all, of the battles of the Rev. War. But the Battle of Mount Vernon escapes me. Oh, horror...

...was this one of those dreaded dog-n-pony shows for the public's benefit, to be ridiculed and mocked!?

:rotf: :rotf: :barf: :hmm: Pretty sure I know What? I am talking about !

Kilt should reach between the middle of the kneecap and 1"above the top of the shin bone .

Alden said:
I'm familiar with many, most if not all, of the battles of the Rev. War. But the Battle of Mount Vernon escapes me. Oh, horror...

...was this one of those dreaded dog-n-pony shows for the public's benefit, to be ridiculed and mocked!?

I don't know if Mount Vernon was holding this event when I was still doing Black Watch. If they did, we never went to it.

However, we did do two events each year under your emboldened criteria above. One was fighting a mock battle on Constitution Avenue in Washington, DC and right in front of the National Archives. This was done on the 4th of July. We made fun of it even though we did it.

Another was "The Reenactment of the Battle that never happened at Fort Ward (Alexandria, Virginia) in honor of George Washington's Birthday." We had even more mocking descriptions/names for it. This event was actually pretty fun to do and gave us something to do over the winter months when no other Reenactments were held.

Gus

My regiment mainly wears the plaid on the more showy events. I wore the great kilt and regimental on our last event which was for St. Paddy's day weekend. It's kind of what people expect, you know? But usually it's overalls for that campaigning look. Honestly, the pants are easier to wear and put on after a long night of carousing haha.

Of course. There are some tadpoles here who've never done a public service nor attended an educational event that thrash around and opine nonetheless.

BTW, my girlfriend and I were unceremoniously uninvited to join a forty-twa unit. This after being courted by them for years. Then their small commander wore sneakers on Surrender Field at 225th Yorktown; I so enjoyed deriding him for it.

I have one rule now: I won't do events where the reenactors will outnumber the public. I'm sure anything, publicized, at Mt. Vernon would be well attended all around.

Alden said:
BTW, my girlfriend and I were unceremoniously uninvited to join a forty-twa unit. This after being courted by them for years. Then their small commander wore sneakers on Surrender Field at 225th Yorktown; I so enjoyed deriding him for it.
Please tell me someone took pictures of that sight.

Back