• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mountain Man from NC

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmck0309

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Been looking for a forum for like-minded folks to talk to once in a while. Looks good so far. Just wanted to introduce myself to everyone. My name is Mike. My Native given name is "Tali-Shiligook"; Cherokee for Two Turtles. An old Indian fellow gave me that name several years ago after hearing how I had slid my big Bronco nearly off the road one day in order to miss two turtles crossing the roadway. Incidentally, I helped them on their journey by removeing them from the road and placing them in a small stream just inside the tree line.
I've been into Native crafts and Mountain Man history for as long as I can remember. As a kid I used to watch the old movies and dream of living in the wilderness and wandering for a living. I very nearly succeeded; however, now my health has turned against me and I don't get out nearly as much as I used to.
Now I stay home and with my considerable spare time I craft things out of buckskin. At one time I made custom knives, but even that now isn't possible; at least in a commercial sense.
I've actually made knives for TV (The History Channel) and was once approached by the production folks for a (now) popular movie; asking me to make all the Native garb for the movie. Sadly I had to bow out, but it was a great honor just to be asked.
Now when I feel good I make buckskins, moccasins, buffalo coats and the like, just to keep them lying around as I love the way these items look hanging around my home. I have a buffalo robe in each room of my home and again; just because I love the way they look. If it were feasable, I would love to live in a tepee with all my accoutrements.
Well, hi from NC from an old, but young at heart trapper/mountain man. Keep your powder dry and watch your topknot.

Welcome to the insanity. It seems that once black powder gets into your blood it's there to stay. You seem to be well along on your way already. Keep in mind that we are like little children here. We like pictures. So show us some of your gear. We really love to see it and do join in when with information that you have to share. Again, welcome.

Vern

Welcome to the MLF Mike! You're right, camp is filled with lots of like-minded folks. glad you found your way to camp. Post some pic's if you can of your wares, we like to admire others talents. We have a place at the fire for you so pull up a stump and share some tales.

It'd be great to get us all sitting around a fire for a couple of cold nights. Your welcomes are greatly appreciated. I'm trying to figure out how to post some photos, so I should have some up. Just don't know when. Thanks again for all your welcome comments. Y'all sure know how to make a fellow feel right at home.

mmck0309

Here's some photos of my kit. I finally got finished with the buckskins last week and I think they came out pretty good. I've made several sets of skins for others in the past, but for my own I wanted real braintan skins. The hides weren't cheap, but it was worth the wait.

I made nearly everything in all the photos. The exceptions are the woven sash, hatband, and garters. A fellow I used to do allot of business with back in the day made them up for me.

I also didn't make two of the knives. Check on the edged weapons forum; I have some questions regards them.

Everything else, including the Nowill bowie, I made with my two own hands. All the leather is smoked braintan buckskins and I just love this stuff.

I also did all the sheaths and their beadwork. Talk about tedious. I wish I had better eyesight; I'd probably do allot more beading. There's just something about what a bit of nice beadwork does for a piece.

Well, let me know if the photos posted and what you think.

Keep your powder dry and watch your topnot.

:hatsoff: :thumbsup: Howdy and welcome Mike,sounds like yer livin the dream.Sounds like my cabin with all the stuff hanging around.Take care.Griz

Yeah, sorry about that Claude. Trying to figure all this technology out with a non-tech ability. I'll be more careful.

Back