• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Most Remembered shot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weasel

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What was your most remembered or best shot while hunting? mine was a sow woodchuck at 104 measured yards offhand. I took her with a 50 cal percussion investaarms "hawken" type rifle using 85 grains goex 2f and a 365 gr. maxiball weasel
smile.gif

I once got two squirrels with one shot.

I was using a .32 caliber T/C Cherokee with a .310 round ball and .010 patch on top of 25 grains of FFFg.

They were on a limb about 50 feet above me making more squirrels...
shocked.gif

What a way to go...
grin.gif

(How did I know what he was doing? The leaves covered most of her up.)

I remember my first deer(s) with a muzzleloader. I was hunting a field one cool October morning. The leaves on the trees were golden amber, bright red and brilliant orange. A light breeze blew giving the air a dynamic almost "electric" feeling, you know that crisp clean air that makes you feel energetic and alive. It was just before the sun came up, and the dew was rising giving the woods a cool refreshing scent.

I just knew something was going to happen that morning. And just as I was thinking about that, I saw the tips of a rack comming out of the woods on the far side of the field. I watched as a buck slowly made his way through woods into the waist high golden colored grass in the field.I lost sight of him for a minute in the waving grass and when I spotted him again he was well withen range at around 50 yards. I could see that he had a very tall rack, yet only a spike on one side and a three point on the other. He put his head down, and I lifted my gun, took aim, and fired. The smoke bellowed out of my gun and the smell of blackpowder filled the air. I saw the buck for a split second as he exited the field on my left side. No sooner did he hit the woods when I heard another gun shot "BOOOM"! Then silence. I walked to where I saw the buck run too and another hunter had shot him and dropped him. We flipped a coin and I lost, so he got to keep the deer. I felt very bad about not getting to keep what would have been my first deer with a muzzleloader, but I was thankfull for the experience of that beautiful morning.

Well, the next morning was a carbon copy of the first. Awsome weather and at about the same time, another deer entered the field. A large doe. I waited to see if she had any young, but after 20 minutes or so, I hadn't seen any. I decided I'd take the first good broadside shot she offered. After some twisting and turning, I got a chance at her. It was an 80 yard shot(my longest shot ever at that time), but it was perfect. It seemed like the world slowed down for a moment as I aimed. Then the shot, I felt really good about that one. I was already down out of the stand and walking too her before the smoke settled.

After the shot she ran out of the field leaving a bloodtrail a blind man could follow. It was a heart shot. When I found her, not 50 yards from the field, my eyes swelled up with tears as I realized I had done what no one in my family had done in maybe hundreds of years. The doe was perfect, except maybe for the long scar she had going down her shoulder from where someone had missed her with a bow. It had been done that season, but had closed up and had no hair there. She weighed about 130 pounds, and she tasted great. I also tanned her hide hair on, scar and all. Those were the two shots that stand out in my mind the most. I was shooting a CVA caplock with 100 grains of powder and a buffalo bore 385 grain bullet.

Hope this wasn't too long.

Back