• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Morse Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flintlockmdj

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently traded for a rifle sold by Navy Arms Co. The only markings on the rifle are Navy Arms Co. Ridgefield N.J.USA and .50 cal 3855. I have been told that it was a Morse rifle it has a two piece stock the buttstock has a pistol grip and the receiver is brass, percussion side lock. Very accurate, any information will be appreciated.

Navy arms imported them. I am not sure from where but Italy would be a good bet. They also imported a Morse 12 ga shotgun that probably looks just like your rifle with the exception of the barrel. They are described in the 3rd edition of the Black Powder Gun Digest as having a brass receiver and walnut stock with full pistol grip. Other than the ramrod and receiver, it looks like the profile of a modern shotgun.

The Morse rifle ....sometimes referred to as the " Wesson" rifle look like this:
MORSERIFLE.jpg

although many of them are not this pretty....
Most of them you see are brass receivers or Blacked Brass...

The Wesson and Morse rifles are two different animals. The Wesson always sold for substantially more than a Morse which was an entry level gun. The Wesson actually replicates target rifles of the 19th century. Put them side by side and the differences are huge and very apparent.

If you can get your hands on a Wesson rifle, grab it. They rarely appear on the auction sites and bring a good price when they do.

There are some photos of a Morse rifle further down this forum under the heading "Navy Arms .58. It's been customized with a fancy trigger guard and some fancy wood, but you'll see that the frames are quite different.

Heck, it's $20 less than their T/C Hawken and you wouldn't have to worry about someone showing up at a shoot with the same gun very often.

They're made by Palmetto??? I didn't think they were capable of making anything but junk. Were the early Navy Arms guns made by Palmetto too? If they can make a good gun, why do they have so many crappy ones on the market?

It's about the only quality gun Palmetto makes. Apparently they actually take their time with these and do a fine job on them. Every one I've seen was nicely finished with good wood and fine checkering.

Back