• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

More knives.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Yanta

45 Cal.
Reaction score
This is what I did this week.

img_0197.jpg

img_0198.jpg

img_0199.jpg

Wow :v !What's the blades made from?The Antler handles how do you age/color them?I'm also curious about the markings on the blade?

Hello Spitfire, I forge high carbon steels mostly 1070/1080 1084 1095 and O-1 tool steels. I guess I use what ever I pick up. They're all good steels. Most of my handles come from a very old stock pile of deer, elk, and moose antlers I bought a couple of years ago. I was told and I believe that they were over a hundred years old. There are ways to further age them the process has been discussed many times in various threads and posts on these forums. The marks on the blades are touch marks I use. One is the letter "Y" breaking through an arrow. The letter "Y" is the first letter of my last name. The story behind that is I was shooting my long bow from the sidewalk infront of my garage to a target inside my garage. I plucked the string during release and the arrow plumb centered my anvil snapping the arrow in half, the anvil won on that contest. The double barred cross mark is also known as the Lorraine cross. This symbol was a popular trade symbol and it is easy to make. Take care.

Joe Yanta

I likes :hatsoff: that roach belly knife with the crown handle. Nice work my friend. I've got an old cross cut saw I've always wanted to make some blades from, but not having the heat/ forge to temper them I 'm afraid of ruining them

Back