• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

MORE DIFFICULT BUILD PISTOL OR RIFLE

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With just your hand to hold it, getting the grip dimensions and amount of reach for your trigger finger just right is critical.. Lots of trial and error going on in that area before you will be happy with the fit. It's much easier to "make do" with a bad fit with a rifle than it is a pistol.

Other aspects are the same, except you don't have some of the decorative aspects of a rifle to do, like cheek piece carving and inserts, or a patch box. 1 fewer entry pipe, retaining lug, and depending on the design, maybe no grip cap which is akin to a butt plate. Lock & trigger / TG fitting is the same.

Hi,
I don't find building a pistol to be harder but the design requires a thorough consideration. Most folks probably don't know how to fit a pistol, whereas fitting long guns is more widely understood. A pattern makers vise usually solves any problems holding on to a pistol stock.

dave

Also the curvature of the grain through the grip is an important consideration. All too often the grain doesn't follow the curve of the grip and loading a very tight ball may cause the grip to fracture. Any inletting of the grip cap is difficult due to the inletting is in three dimensions as opposed to two in most places on a rifle.

Long guns and pistols both have there own challenges. I personally don’t find one more difficult than the other to build. However a pistol will concentrate all your goofs into a small easily examined object. So workmanship is at a premium, building a pistol. It’s got to be right or goofs really stick out. BJH

Frank Bartlett(full time builder) built 250+ plus guns before he died, and customers had to beg him to build a pistol. He said that,as far as inletting and shaping, there was almost as much work/time in a pistol as a rifle, but no one wanted to pay for it.

I read somewhere that it is more difficult to build a flintlock pistol than it is to build a long rifle? Why? Any opinions?
Pistol.
While you may have less barrel length to inlet, essentially the same amount of work is needed all of which is crammed into a smaller space. Those pistol butt-caps are a real nuisance to inlet...

Back