• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Moose hunting with the .54

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might as well spend the money on PowerBall and mega.

Yeah maybe… I’ve drawn both a bull & cow here in Colorado. Long odds but doable in the western state you’re a resident in. Although there’s no denying some guy’s may apply their whole life & never draw. Nonresident odds are like hitting the powerball!

Our 1990 Minnesota bull moose - shot with an unmentionable - we sent the hide out to be tanned. When I picked it up and opened the package it looked as if someone had shot it with a shotgun! The tanner's skiving machine had popped off all the tick bite "nodes". Made it unusable for anything but small items - a bag for my round balls, etc. We weren't happy. But the meat - delicious! The job hauling it out - a full days work.

Tom
Up north from MN in Northwestern Ontario we are now experiencing ticks! Damn things are driving the moose crazy. We see them in late winter with massive patches of hide showing and some don't make it as a result. We used to travel down Hwy 61 to Grand Marais and Duluth for weekend fun but now with Covid-19 we do not venture out much. The Thunder Bay area has the highest incidence of Omicron since the beginning of this pestilence! That is really too bad about the hide as it certainly costs money to get that done. There's always 2022! You are due for another!

Guided moose hunts are really expensive for sure. It’s still reasonable if you can draw a tag in a western state and go DIY. Looks like you aren’t in the states though which obviously increases the price dramatically. Moose hunting the west is kind of a “gentleman’s hunt” (easy). The pack out can definitely be the hardest part of the hunt.

Don't get me wrong, unless I absolutely have to I don't do guided hunts, I'm a diy hunter through and through. But the cost of building points in the states even in a random draw state, you're better off just saving for a guided hunt anyway for moose and sheep. I did consider trying Montana unlimited but it's still expensive enough just in flights, vehicle hire etc.

I haven’t hunted bear, but I have lived in bear country for my whole life. I would say a black bear is doable, not very doable. You’d think they were around every corner by myth, but it is a worthy goal. Elk, mule deer and antelope are very doable in WY, but you will find antelope more challenging than you might think, especially with a muzzleloader. If you choose to accept the hospitality of your friend, the lion hunt will be the jewel of your stay. I watched/heard hounds tree a cougar in the Jemez Mountains of New Mexico and it stirred a longing within me that I didn’t know was there and spurred me to begin hunting with dogs. I would invite you to my hunt, but my style is not conducive to what many consider “successful” hunts. A lot like hiking with a gun. If that suits you, you are welcome. The animals here are amazing, but the land is epic. Cheers!

If I did bear it would be a western spot and stalk diy with centrefires or in an eastern state I'd use the blackpowder.

We have our own challenging hunts here, I do a fair bit of mountain hunting which is hard enough! What part of the country are you?

20201102_161552.jpg

DSC_0064.JPG

Don't get me wrong, unless I absolutely have to I don't do guided hunts, I'm a diy hunter through and through. But the cost of building points in the states even in a random draw state, you're better off just saving for a guided hunt anyway for moose and sheep. I did consider trying Montana unlimited but it's still expensive enough just in flights, vehicle hire etc.
Yeah, I here you. Drawing any of the big “3” (moose, sheep & goat) is getting to be almost impossible if you aren’t a resident. It’s tough even for residents.

I started applying in several western states in the mid 2000’s. Slowly but surely I’ve dropped out of several as fees to apply have gotten ridiculous and the horrible draw odds. I still have a bunch of points in Utah & Wyoming. I apply for everything in Colorado too being my home state.

If you wanna hunt black bear in the states it’s a much easier draw in most cases. Colorado has even dropped the price for non resident bear tags to try & entice more bear hunters.

Back