• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mold Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like Lee molds and the bottom pour lead pots. Great value for the money. On the other hand, Lee reloading equipment is exactly what you pay for: cheap and mostly barely acceptable quality. Expect problems and failure from your investment. I tried multiple die sets and had problems with nearly all of them. Their presses routinely break after some usage. They do replace the broken/defective parts but why bother? Better quality is easy to obtain but it does cost more. But you get what you pay for in the long run. I don't need the inconvenience.
If you are talking about the aluminum presses, then yes I can see issues arising. However with the cast press, there's no breaking that with dynamite. That thing is extremely strong.

Now I will say with Lee dies, you do have to always keep an eye on the bullet seating depth, ad it always seems to move out of adjustment. But, with careful attention this is not an issue.

And to the person who said they'd still prefer a Lyman mold even if Lee were more expensive. I say more power too ya brother. It's your money.

I've got one Lyman mold, a maxi ball mold. While it casts good rounds, the mold itself is junk. The sprue cutter screw constantly needs tightening, and I had to re thread it using a tap because the threads stripped out of it. It has galled the top of the mold even with being lubed to keep it from doing so.

For the price of just a Lyman mold, I can get a Lee mold plus the handles.

I believe that Lyman’s exaggerated sprue nobs is done on purpose. Perhaps to help you “perfectly” align the ball while loading. I have used and currently have over 40 moulds of different brands, Lee, Lyman, RCBS, TC, Saeco, H&G, and some aluminum unbranded ones. My pick will be RCBS over all of them. Lee’s are what they are, cheaper and lesser quality, no to put them down, but that’s what they are. They allow new casters get in the game for cheap, but if you cast hard and long enough you will eventually have to move up. I also hate to have to lube the sprue cutter hinge, there is no small amount of lube that you can put on it that will not end up all over including the cavities. Controlling the temp with Lee’s, and other Al blocks molds, is also challenging as you have to maintain a steady rhythm, they heat up or cool down too fast. I normally tumble my RB in a lapidary tumbler with a bit of graphite. RCBS RB come out sprueless. After lots of experimentation I quit orienting the sprue while loading with RCBS RB, it made no difference. With other brands you have to watch the sprue orientation if you want tight groups. Lymans will look like an egg if you tumble them and groups will be significantly bigger with ocasional flyers. Un tumbled they shoot good but the sprue orientation is a turn off, particularly in revolvers.

" I doubt that the balls cast by our ancestors were anywhere close to the quality balls we are getting these days and it our ancestors that we are trying to emulate so why worry? "

Of course if one's ancestors were English Gentlemen *** then there was no bother at all. One would tell one's MAN that one was goin' to go huntin' , doncher know -- and Jenkins would do the rest.

** Mine were just peasants on the estate ;-))))

I use Lee. Haven't seen a Lyman cast ball in a long time that I noted the sprue like that. Looks like you would be sending a Christmas orb downrange Wouldn't it cause a micro wabble trajectory.

I like Lee molds and I have many along with RCBS, Lyman, Hoch, Rapine, etc. Lee lead pots are the best of any. I also make my own molds. I make all work. I cast 20# of anything with zero rejects unless I drop one on the floor. Last time I weighed I had a variation of 4 tenths of a gr.
Nothing at all bad about Lee molds.

I have never had a problem with a lee mould for bullets or roundballs. I have a Lee press and dies for loading the unmentionable .50 BMG. No trouble there either. Lee stuff has always treated me well.

The people who don't like Lee molds are either uppity snobs who think it can't be good unless you spend big bucks on it, or who have never used a Lee mold, or some combination of both.

Lee products are good quality, and are perfect for those on a budget. I've got several Lee molds, a Lee cast iron reloading press, and a bunch of other Lee products. Been using some of them for decades. I've got nothing but high praise for them.
I have a lot of their die sets as well. I’ll usually replace the rings with locking one, but as far as I’m concerned, they are every bit as good as any of the other brands.

I like Lee molds and I have many along with RCBS, Lyman, Hoch, Rapine, etc. Lee lead pots are the best of any. I also make my own molds. I make all work. I cast 20# of anything with zero rejects unless I drop one on the floor. Last time I weighed I had a variation of 4 tenths of a gr.
Nothing at all bad about Lee molds.
I hear you 45man, But when we talk about the quality of a product is just that, quality, not the ability of the product to do what is supposed to do. I have Lee products and they do what is ask of them but there are products of better quality that do the same or better with less frustration, mishaps and annoyances due to being of better quality. That’s all I am saying. Can a Yugo take you around town for sightseeing? Yes. Can a Yugo do 60MPH on a 60MPH zone? Of course! Can it keep you warm in winter and cool in summer? Absolutely! Is it a Mercedes Benz, nope! Lee pots are the best of any? Really? Have you ever own a Waage or RCBS Pro Melt? Or even a Lyman Pro Mag 20? You will be surprised if try any of them. I can tell you they’re don’t constantly drip like the Lee’s or sag to a sad 45 degree angle when left full.

Back