• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mississippi Primitive weapons season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill/Ms.

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just a heads up to the Mississippians here. The legislature is in the process of eliminating the primitive weapons seasons in December and January on private land. No word on how the seasons on public land will be effected. The early November doe season will remain as is.
I have really seen this coming ever since the "primitive" rules were altered- first to allow aim-point sights, then telescopic sights, and then the single shot cartridge rifles. Doesn't matter to me- I use my muzzleloader whenever there is an open gun season.
Be Well,
Bill

i'm from pontotoc,co. i can see where its going to be good for some that dont like hunting with a muzzle loader and would hunt if they could use their modern firearm. the peak of the rut in north ms. starts around the first of dec and runs till the end of the month. like you said when all the rules started changing to scopes and all it just went down hill for all the folks that like the flints and cap guns. it all but shut down the sales of all side hammer guns and finding supply's except for online is over.instead of making the sport and the season better they killed it. but to me and a hand full of others when deer season opens you will find me tote'n one of my 50 cal's. i like hearing all the others hunters say you know you don't have to hunt with that kind of gun anymore, and then seeing their face when i drag the big buck out of the woods.

yep been there too but they are starting to respect the rock bashers I carry so hang in there :thumbsup:

The new rules have passed both houses of the legislature and will be signed into law this week. Due to several large sporting goods stores raising hell about their inventory of single shot "primitive weapons", the new seasons will not go into effect until 2014. Yipee.
Bill

No, I have not. To be honest, I really don't give a darn. I hunt on my own land and I'm old enough I don't have to purchase a license; so, I just kinda do my own thing and use the muzzleloader any time a gun season is open- that way I don't get confused.
Be Well,
Bill

Back