• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Miroku Tanegashima sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canute Rex

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a modern repro Japanese matchlock, made by Miroku. The sights are mystifying.

The rear sight is a tall rectangular block with a tiny groove and a large hole drilled directly down into the top. The front sight is also a tall rectangular block, but with a larger groove. Also a tiny horizontal hole drilled just below it, all the way front to back. Also a larger hole drilled down from above. The barrel and sights are browned, so nothing stands out - hard to see against anything but a white background.

Does anyone know how these were supposed to be used? Are there parts missing? They appear to be lined up absolutely parallel to the bore, so I'm thinking they would shoot low.

I think they placed glowing punk in the holes for a crude night sight. I think they used a reverse sight picture during the day, with a space where the front sight would be, to actually see the target. I tried it on the one I had, after filing the grooves wider. It does work after practice holding the sight picture. Until we interview a 18 century samurai, we will never know…

The shooter would carry a bag/box with a variety of separate sight pieces/apertures that were inserted in slots. The different sight pieces represent a variety of different anticipated distances. I would think these tiny, individuals sight pieces would be easy to loose in the field. Probably why they are considered ultra-rare today. I have a photo somewhere .

Rick

Latest posts

Back