• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mini Balls for a Revolver?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticap

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked up 100 of these mini balls at a gun show.
The box was marked .454 but they average .452 at the base and become narrower.
They weigh between 155 - 158 grains.
They're cast from very soft lead.
Has anyone seen these before or know anything about the mold that they were cast from?
Will these be good to shoot out of a C&B revolver?
Should they be loaded with a thin over powder card or some filler if there's room in the chamber?

P1050148a32.jpg

P1050151a45.jpg

A wad would not be needed, rifled muskets used the same type of bullet with no wad, but it may take a smaller than normal powder charge to get the bullet to clear the mouth of the chamber. Will they fit in the opening in front of the cylinder in order to align the bullet for loading?

A wad would cant in the hollow base and might cause accuracy problems. Use lube in the grooves of the bullet and make sure they seat tight.

i think they work like a minee bullet. when you press the bullet hard when you load the bullet, the powder make the skirt on the bullet to expand in the cylinder , and make the bullet sitt tight.

If they mike .452 at the base and taper toward the nose, you will run into problems using them in a revolver. The loose fit will allow them to walk forward under recoil and will possibly allow gap flash past into the powder charge. They don't resemble any revolver bullets I've ever seen. Maybe they were meant for use in single shot pistols--they weigh less than 20 grains more than the proper .454 ball used in a .44 revolver. I would be very careful here.

Those look very similar to the Lyman #450229 bullet (155gr) although the base band looks slightly heavier in the picture of the actual Lyman bullet. Also couldn't tell if the #450229 is a hollow base or not. Second choice would be the Lyman #452460.

Ol' Buffalo Bullet Mold Tables

I have a mold for .45 minie ball (Lyman, I think), so there are molds other than .58 & .69. Mine casts a longer ball. Don't know where any of them are right now, as I quit using them years ago. This bullet did bring down two deer with one shot kills, and as I recall, 70 grs of 3F. And no, I would not use them in a revolver for the reasons already cited.

I'm doubtful those should be used in a C&B revolver. would they expand leaving the cylinder and lead-up the forceing cone or cause high pressure? all the slugs I've seen for a C&B revolver have been solid base.
Paul V. may have some input on those slugs. I don't think you should shoot them.

Revolvers use a specific type of conical bullet, not a Minie. These little ones may be for use in a single shot percussion pistol. They might actually be worth something there.

I shoot Lee mold conicals in my '58 Rem and ROA with good results. round ball seems to group tighter w/moderate powder charge and 3 felts stacked up atop powder but the conicals shoot as well w/hot loads as moderate loads. a + for hunting which I have done with both. my nephew was with me with his H&R 20 ga mag loaded with 3" mag buck however. this was hunting wild hog (feral hog mixed w/russian black) from a ground blind near bait - legal here in N. Calinky as they are classified as 'destructive species'
good eating though if you get them near a agricultural area orchard or acorn-mast area.
got mine not far from all of the above.
some guests said it was the best flavored pork chops ever eaten.

These minies do indeed appear to match the Lyman #450229 mold.
Some fellows on castboolits report obtaining good accuracy when shooting these same minies from a Remington 1858 revolver although it was said that they're not easy to cast.
Thanks for the ID! :hatsoff:

I have used them in a Rugar Old Army Stainless Steel. Always seem to work well. I contacted Ruger and they gave them thier blessings.

Juggernaut

Back