• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

MilitaryHeritage.com ( Access Heritage Inc ) Imperial Guard Infantry Musket. 1766 or 1777?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I admire your self-reliance, your progress in gunsmithing and collecting antiques, as well as your acumen to build up a business from this hobby.
BUT Nah. Stagnation makes us Grumpy old men - just ask the 3 grandkids living with me! Fresh new ideas led to the Un-Mentionanables systems now in use and the "progressive'" implementation of in-line hunting arms. Been there and done that too; However, now I'm once again back to external ignition systems (stagnating away) where one can putter with old ideas and experiment with cantankerous hardware to coax out the best performance. Oh, I've got some nice antique arms - but I am conservative so they are all locked up and they don't see live firing, ever. Then there's the repros and hand built stuff that gets toted out into the woods and used up!
Bottom line: Maybe, just maybe, we should all simply enjoy the pleasure of burning black powder in front- loading firearms and strive to let our BP brothers live-and-let-live for our time remaining here on Earth's sod.
Uh, what business am I building from my hobby? And just how exactly is pointing out gross inaccuracies in imported reproductions muskets somehow violating a BS live and let live cliche that is almost never practiced by those that use the term ad nauseam.

Uh, what business am I building from my hobby? And just how exactly is pointing out gross inaccuracies in imported reproductions muskets somehow violating a BS live and let live cliche that is almost never practiced by those that use the term ad nauseam.

Thats the typical answer given when facts are pointed out that burry the conjecture made on historical accuracies in reproductions.

Every one of us had to start somewhere, some at the very bottom, some inherited stuff from family and friends. Don't get bent out of shape if someone doesn't have the best equipment, at least they are doing what they can.
Yeah, I’m one if them. The only thing I will inherit from my father is a funeral bill. I got where I’m at by not settling for anything bottom of the barrel.

Pedersoli makes the best 1777 year 9 musket for a factory builder, its a little bulkier and heavier but its a pretty good match.

Some defarbs can be done to make it more accurate, such as the frizzen spring.

The lock panels need some reshaping, as does the area around the cheek recess, its very minor detailed work.

Factory finish and color is wrong, originals were somewhat darker.

Pedersoli sells this gun in kit form also which makes it much easier to work on.

Overall it’s pretty accurate, i would say the most accurate replicas they have next to the MLE 1777 and 1816.

Rifle Shoppe’s year 9 musket is of course the most accurate other than the american walnut stock, which is close to french and European.

Last edited:
He probably builds them.

I have built a few, and defarbed many 1777’s, of the all the charleville’s its the easiest one to build.

I’m doing a custom MLE 1777 now for someone.

The MLE 1777 is the most complicated because of the front band, the screw is the wrong style, there is no semi circular lug on the barrel to base the screw and there is no rammer spoon in the front band, a small rammer spoon was riveted into the front band on the initial MLE 1777 patterns, later patterns had it pinned to the forestock.

Every one of us had to start somewhere, some at the very bottom, some inherited stuff from family and friends. Don't get bent out of shape if someone doesn't have the best equipment, at least they are doing what they can.
A lot of folks tend to stay at the bottom once they buy at the bottom, it also gives you a false impression of what is real and authentic.

My suggestion, avoid the bottom and take an interest in researching the specific musket you want. Find out who has an original collection, and what museum has them, request a viewing of the musket so you can document it.

Knowledge is always the best starting point from the bottom up.

After you’ve done you knowledge, if you buy a bottom feeder, at least you’ll have the knowledge to know and understand whats wrong with it.

A lot of folks tend to stay at the bottom once they buy at the bottom, it also gives you a false impression of what is real and authentic.

My suggestion, avoid the bottom and take an interest in researching the specific musket you want. Find out who has an original collection, and what museum has them, request a viewing of the musket so you can document it.

Knowledge is always the best starting point from the bottom up.

After you’ve done you knowledge, if you buy a bottom feeder, at least you’ll have the knowledge to know and understand whats wrong with it.
dang. im a bottom feeder

If finances are your concern, then there are many shooting disciplines that are far more affordable than BP and every bit as fun.
BP can be fun and inexpensive. Don't be a snob. Don't look down on people who don't care to drop 2-3K or more on a Flintlock.

I shoot a $400 2 band Enfield and a $175 1858 New Army. I have others too but those are both good shooters.

FWIW I have bought many guns at 3K or better. I have an HK addiction.

Latest posts

Back