• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

MilitaryHeritage.com ( Access Heritage Inc ) Imperial Guard Infantry Musket. 1766 or 1777?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BP can be fun and inexpensive. Don't be a snob. Don't look down on people who don't care to drop 2-3K or more on a Flintlock.

I shoot a $400 2 band Enfield and a $175 1858 New Army. I have others too but those are both good shooters.

FWIW I have bought many guns at 3K or better. I have an HK addiction.
There is not a damned thing I wrote that is snobbery. Not in the least. It is just simple logic. Black powder alone is very expensive per shot compared to other powders.

I’ve yet to meet a single BP shooter that is financially strapped. They’re just cheap.

BP can be fun and inexpensive. Don't be a snob. Don't look down on people who don't care to drop 2-3K or more on a Flintlock.

I shoot a $400 2 band Enfield and a $175 1858 New Army. I have others too but those are both good shooters.

FWIW I have bought many guns at 3K or better. I have an HK addiction.

Indian gun owner’s don the excuse, can’t afford a custom musket so go to that of an Indian made musket.

Fact, Indian muskets are not cheap, they’re just as expensive to own as many BP guns. If you’re able to do the work yourself on them thats great, then maybe they’re worth it for you. But as with most they need gunsmithing work on the locks, stocks and barrels… a licensed gunsmith would charge nearly 75 per hour for that work plus materials and shipping.

Guys like BangBang11 know how to work on their muskets, they don’t need to ask for assistance, so they can afford the gun and the work. Most can’t.

As in most cases novice buyers run HERE to find someone that does charity work that will work on their gun for nothing.

With that said, Indian guns are not cheap, they’re actually expensive to purchase and own, and their distributors can’t take gunsmithing orders for all of their customers.

I’ve had people call me who’ve been waiting for the Indian musket to be repaid by Middlesex Trading for 5 years without communication or return calls, my guess is the owner is seriously backed up with warranty work (or doesn’t care about his customers). Very sad when you get these calls because there is not much you can do to help them, can you build them a new lock, yes of course but it ought not be that way, now the gun just got as expensive as any other.

Poor customer service is an expense to the customer.

Last edited:
lol. until i win lottery reckon i will shoot what i can afford. lol. but i understand what you saying. saying this with respect

Superior knowledge is priceless. Most would rather own every pattern of every single musket for no good reason, other than to take a picture of it with themselves.

The ability to examine and document details, develop patterns is just priceless.

Example Dutch Muskets, so very little is known about them today because the research and museums were destroyed in WW2.

Currently in the custom market there is a huge demand for Dutch Style muskets, fowlers and carbines. Until recently i had very little knowledge about rifled Dutch carbines that were used in the American Revolutionary War and Napoleonic Wars.

Here is a Dutch musket lock I’m copying from lost wax castings and will eventually CNC copy.

This lock is unique in that it has blind screws, and a water proof detached pan, markings on the inside suggest it was made around 1770 for commercial muskets. It has the size of a military lock but can be also used on long fowlers and militia guns.

This is what $250 of research investment is worth, now I’m going to make molds and sell copies.

Attachments

• IMG_1857.jpeg
    IMG_1857.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0648.jpeg
    IMG_0648.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0663.jpeg
    IMG_0663.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Superior knowledge is priceless. Most would rather own every pattern of every single musket for no good reason, other than to take a picture of it with themselves.

The ability to examine and document details, develop patterns is just priceless.

Example Dutch Muskets, so very little is known about them today because the research and museums were destroyed in WW2.

Currently in the custom market there is a huge demand for Dutch Style muskets, fowlers and carbines. Until recently i had very little knowledge about rifled Dutch carbines that were used in the American Revolutionary War and Napoleonic Wars.

Here is a Dutch musket lock I’m copying from lost wax castings and will eventually CNC copy.

This lock is unique in that it has blind screws, and a water proof detached pan, markings on the inside suggest it was made around 1770 for commercial muskets. It has the size of a military lock but can be also used on long fowlers and militia guns.

This is what $250 of research investment is worth, now I’m going to make molds and sell copies.
wow. u sir have done a lot of research. thank you for posting the pictures and for your time. again thank you very much. respect to you

Indian gun owner’s done the excuse, can’t afford a custom musket so go to that of an Indian made musket.

Fact, Indian muskets are not cheap, they’re just as expensive to own as many BP guns. If you’re able to do the work yourself on them thats great, then maybe they’re worth it for you. But as with most they need gunsmithing work on the locks, stocks and barrels… a licensed gunsmith would charge nearly 75 per hour for that work plus materials and shipping.

Guys like BangBang11 know how to work on their muskets, they don’t need to ask for assistance, so they can afford the gun and the work. Most can’t.

As in most cases novice buyers run HERE to find someone that does charity work that will work on their gun for nothing.

With that said, Indian guns are not cheap, they’re actually expensive to purchase and own, and their distributors can’t take gunsmithing orders for all of their customers.

I’ve had people call me who’ve been waiting for the Indian musket to be repaid by Middlesex Trading for 5 years without communication or return calls, my guess is the owner is seriously backed up with warranty work (or doesn’t care about his customers). Very sad when you get these calls because there is not much you can do to help them, can you build them a new lock, yes of course but it ought not be that way, now the gun just got as expensive as any other.

Poor customer service is an expense to the customer.
well said

Jim Kibler was a major shot in the arm for our Hobby. Quality stuff done right. But I think many miss the point. There are old and young people in our Hobby. Take a Guy thats 70 years old now. When he retired his nest egg was worth XXXXXx. Factor in devaluation of the dollar over x number of years. That individual no longer has the buying power of what he did when he first retired. A kit would be a major expense for some up in years. Thus the reason why they continue to service and make do with what they got so they can continue to stay in the Muzzle loading game. And yes some indian muskets sure serve appealing to some with restrictive budgets. I am sure that some of the old Guys have the tools and skills to turn that Indian Musket into a regular shooter. Younger fellas now working may have the means to get what they want. It,s all relevant. They will get there one day and see exactly what i am saying. As for me im still pushing my T/C and Lyman until they burn out. And they will still find a fireplace mantle somewhere after I am long gone.
i like your way of thinking. to each his own. i enjoy what i have. im a very simple man. just hope everyone is happy in what they got. hope everyone here enjoys this life because one never knows when its time yo leave this place. we came here with nothing and we aint taking nothing with us when we go. respect to all of you

Latest posts

Back