• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

MGS lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike garner

40 Cal.
Reaction score
i am having a jaeger rifle fitted and assembled by jim frost that i will finish the wood and metal, it will have a MSG/RS davis lock and L&R triggers installed. i am curious to know what the experts think of these locks and triggers.

I suspect you are referring to a Davis' M&G lock - yes?

And L&R double set triggers?

Davis makes a fine lock. I have not used/shot every one (maybe some day) but have never personally had an issue with a Davis lock.

If you are getting the Germanic styled classic from Davis, I think you will be pleased.

Personally, if I can get "the correct" lock from Chambers, that is always my first choice. But I'm a builder and just find the Chambers locks finished far better than the others. So less, work for me.

But have zero reservation in using a Davis or L&R lock if it better suits the style/function that I am building.

I occasionally use L&R double set triggers (have a set of L&R 1710's on my favorite rifle) - normally due to availability. Once tuned they work every bit as good as Davis (and at the moment it's tough to get Davis triggers due to supply issues).

If you stick to the major lock makers - Chambers, Davis or L&R and use Davis or L&R triggers, it's tough to go wrong 99 times out 100.

Bottom line, would I build a rifle with those components - absolutely.

What barrel are you getting with her?

i sent ray franks of sitting fox my barrel and components,a swampped Colerain 31” 62 cal. and he sent it to jim frost to all be fitted in a nice figured walnut stock. i have heard negetive things about ray on this site but i have to say he is a nice man and answeres the phone every time i call and takes the time to answer all my questions. i have heard jim is a first rate builder. i will see in a few months.

thanks for the reply and all the friendly help i get on this fourm.

Sounds like you have got some good quality components there.

Your configuration will be capable of shooting better than I ever will. You should end up with a fine shooter there when she's all done.

Back