• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Metal detecting find.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Sparky

40 Cal
Reaction score
So this trigger guard and side plate were found maybe 20 yards apart. Along with the War of 1812 artillery officers belt plate. I'm certain the two gun parts came from the same gun because they both have a capital N and three slashes stamped into them. My metal detecting buddies seem to think it's from a Springfield 1795. And that would jibe with the War of 1812. I would love to know what the n and what the slashes mean and what kind of musket this came from.

Attachments

• 20230708_132113.jpg
    20230708_132113.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
  • 20230708_132125.jpg
    20230708_132125.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230708_132148.jpg
    20230708_132148.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230708_132310.jpg
    20230708_132310.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 0
They were found at an old abandoned Foundation deep in the woods of Western Pennsylvania near New Florence. I found a lot of military stuff from the war of 1812 and the 1830s and a little bit of Civil War. So apparently every member of this family served.

I'm going to say no to the 1795 idea.

That little curved return back to the stock and being brass says civilian arm to me.

Rifle or Smoothbore.

The N with three slashes could be assembly marks. So it went back to the stock with an N and three slashes.

That is an awesome find. Metal detecting is a hobby my wife and I enjoy. Her more than me cause I get to operate the shovel and she runs the metal detector. Would love to find something like that.

Sparky, I think you may have found a trigger guard & side plate from a Model 1803 rifle. It is generally recognized that 3 models of the 1803 were produced. Here are a couple of photos of the 2nd version:
20190150_1 .56cal x 32 in. brl dated 1815.jpeg20190150_6_lg.jpeg20190150_8_lg.jpeg20190150_5_lg.jpeg

It looks like the same trigger guard and side plate, but you can compare it for yourself. It is an amazing find though.

Mike

So this trigger guard and side plate were found maybe 20 yards apart. Along with the War of 1812 artillery officers belt plate. I'm certain the two gun parts came from the same gun because they both have a capital N and three slashes stamped into them. My metal detecting buddies seem to think it's from a Springfield 1795. And that would jibe with the War of 1812. I would love to know what the n and what the slashes mean and what kind of musket this came from.
Wow, you lucky dog. That's a great find on the 1812 officer's plate, that's a beauty. Does it still have the hooks? Have you looked it up in Syd Kerksis "Plates and Buckles of the American Military 1795-1874"? It appears to be #160, circa 1810. The book has it listed at a rarity of 8 on a scale of 10 :thumb: Around here it's civil war stuff and 1812 relics a rare find.
Good chance your rifle parts were made just across the river from me at Harpers Ferry Arsenal. The pride and joy of my ML collection is an 1847 dated Harpers Ferry M42 musket. Good luck on future relic hunting.

Last edited:
Sparky, I think you may have found a trigger guard & side plate from a Model 1803 rifle. It is generally recognized that 3 models of the 1803 were produced. Here are a couple of photos of the 2nd version:
View attachment 234606View attachment 234607View attachment 234608View attachment 234609

It looks like the same trigger guard and side plate, but you can compare it for yourself. It is an amazing find though.

Mike
Yep.

If not an 1803, then certainly one of the various US military rifles from the early 19th century.

This is a terrific find, and I appreciate seeing these things. I would think these are military rifle parts, though, and not from a musket. How they got there is open to speculation.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
View attachment 234606View attachment 234607View attachment 234608View attachment 234609

Mike
Yes that sure looks like it. They're definitely is part of the trigger guard missing. That sure looks like it

Yep.

If not an 1803, then certainly one of the various US military rifles from the early 19th century.

This is a terrific find, and I appreciate seeing these things. I would think these are military rifle parts, though, and not from a musket. How they got there is open to speculation.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
How they got there I believe is that the person who lived in that cabin served. That's why I found that artillery officers sword belt plate at the same place.

Both are great finds! I especially like the nice early militia artillery belt plate, very rare!

That does not look like a military trigger guard. My guess the trigger guard came from a civilian rifle.
They could have been from old guns kept in a house or barn that burned down 5-10-50-100 years after they were made.

Back