• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Measuring Twist Rate (Rod Suggestions Needed)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been trying to measure the twist rate of some rifles (now that I sat down and learned how easy it is), however, I don't have a rod that's up to the task of measuring larger bore guns. All of my range rods and shotgun rods either have a fixed handle or have a pretty crappy rotating handle. Does anyone have a suggestion of a rod that is good for this kind of work? Thanks in advance!

Anything will work, even your ramrod. It’s not what you use but how you use it. What has been the problem?

Anything will work, even your ramrod. It’s not what you use but how you use it. What has been the problem?
Just getting the rod to spin correctly. I used my smallbore cleaning rod (adapted up to fit a 50 cal jag) and it just wasn't solid enough to push a tight patch down the barrel using the handle.

Is there a better way to do it rather than this method?

Try a different patch.
Use any rod, forget the "handle" and just tease the rod back out with your hand/fingers allowing the rod to rotate with the rifling as you pull.
You'll feel it.
The only important thing is to be sure the jag on the end is really tight on the rod, you don't want it "un-screwing" from the rod.
I use tape on the rod in the proper place with a marks for muzzle and spin on it so I can watch the rotation.
And don't expect it to be a dramatic movement, after all a 1-48 only makes a half turn in 24"s.
You wanna make the measurement several times to confirm

I use a wood wiping rod I made to use in primitive matches that don't allow range rods. Put the proper size jag with a patch into the barrel. I then attach a small vise grip to the rod at the muzzle and slowly pull it out.

Try a different patch.
Use any rod, forget the "handle" and just tease the rod back out with your hand/fingers allowing the rod to rotate with the rifling as you pull.
You'll feel it.
The only important thing is to be sure the jag on the end is really tight on the rod, you don't want it "un-screwing" from the rod.
I use tape on the rod in the proper place with a marks for muzzle and spin on it so I can watch the rotation.
And don't expect it to be a dramatic movement, after all a 1-48 only makes a half turn in 24"s.
You wanna make the measurement several times to confirm
Thanks for that, it sounds like the key is to measure multiple times :)

Latest posts

Back