• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Measuring a triggers pull weight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walley

36 Cal.
Reaction score
How do you guys check you trigger's pull weight?
Is there a special scale for this?
I have a set of digital fish scales on hand, would
they work? I want to check each of my rifles, and
see how much they vari in pull weight.
What should an average comfortable pull weight be?

Thanks

Yes, they make a scale for measuring trigger pull. Midsouth Shooters Supply

Everyone has their own idea of what they want for trigger pull.

I want 1/2 - 1# on my target rifles & about 2# on my hunting rifles. But most guys want 2# on target & about 3-4# on a hunting rifle.

:thumbsup:

I have never measured the trigger pull weight (and ain't gonna start!), but Brownell's and Midway will have them too.

If someone is real curious I'll use a fish scale, not the digital type but the plain spring style works fine.

:grin: Der Fett Deutscher if you want a real good and versatile trigger pull Gauge---look for the Lyman Trigger Pull Gauge. This is an electronic pull gauge that runs on a 9 volt battery. The order number is 015-7832248 use this url Trigger Gauge

I use the barbaric method- bend a wire around the trigger and add small barbell plates, etc until the trigger trips- works fairly well. The collars weight about 1/4 pound.

You can use an ordinary bathroom scale to measure trigger pull. Put the rifle on the scale butt down, and note the reading on the scale. Then slowly put pressure on the trigger while watching the scale rise. When the trigger finally goes off, not the highest reading from the scale. subtract the reading for the weight of the gun, and you have your trigger pull weight in pounds. RCBS, as well as other suppliers already mentioned make and sell trigger pull gauges. You can use them to also measure spring tension, on both main springs and frizzen springs.

Trigger pull is most often controlled by how well finished the contact points are between thesear bar and trigger. Then you have the depth of the notch in the tumbler, and how smooth the surface is on the notch, and the end of the sear bar that fits into that notch. Finally, because most all guns come with a trigger return spring, that can also contribute to a harder trigger pull, although it usually relates to problems on handguns, than on long guns.

:grin: If it is as accurate as my fish scales, all of my trigger pulls are over 5# !! :rotf:

Heck No ! ALL the fish I catch are over 5# ! :rotf: Not too many can say that & have a scale to prove it ! :grin:

Ka Boom said:
How do you guys check you trigger's pull weight?
Is there a special scale for this?
I have a set of digital fish scales on hand, would
they work? I want to check each of my rifles, and
see how much they vari in pull weight.
What should an average comfortable pull weight be?

Thanks

I use a digital pull guage. A comfortable pull weight is whatever you prefer. Some folks prefer a heavier pull and some prefer a lighter one. I tend to prefer 4-5 lbs for hunting and mere ounces for target shooting. For hunting, I would say don't go too light though. The adrenaline rush can make you press harder than you realise when you're not quite ready for the shot. Also, if you use gloves...yikes!

I bought the pull guage because I do a lot of centerfire and rimfire target shooting also, and I like to set them up very light, but also be able to adjust them back to within competition limits (usually 2 lb minimum) accurately.

Back