• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Maynard 50 cal Carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kp

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi there. Anyone have experience reloading ammo for the Maynard 50 carbine. So far I have the full size brass and lead sized at .515. I saw a video on u tube where the person measured the powder then tapped the lead on with a small hammer. Is it that easy. I read something’s about a filler. Can anyone give some advice. So excited to shoot it. Thanks.

I used both brass and plastic for my loads, best accuracy was with plastic. The brass has two types, reduced load and full load. You will need filler for the full load and plastic. I used dry cream of wheat. Next is just like any other rifle, work up the load it likes best.. if I remember correctly I used 24 grains 3 f goex.

I used both brass and plastic for my loads, best accuracy was with plastic. The brass has two types, reduced load and full load. You will need filler for the full load and plastic. I used dry cream of wheat. Next is just like any other rifle, work up the load it likes best.. if I remember correctly I used 24 grains 3 f goex.
Thanks. I have the full load brass. How does the filler fit in the puzzle. Also after looking closer at the lead I ordered I see it’s .515 dia however it weighs 515? Am I reading this correctly? From the little research I’ve done I think that should 375?

Put calipers on the projectile. I used a .515 diameter, same as I used in the smith carbine. When building the load, start with 23 grains black powder, then adid crem of wheat to a point you can just compress when seating the bullet. I just used my thumb and lots of beeswax in my lube.

How does the filler fit in the puzzle.

Unlike smokeless powder, black powder performs better when there is no airspace in the cartridge/chamber. So, when loading, first put your powder charge in. This would be the 23 grains mentioned in post #4. Then use something inert like corn meal or cream of wheat to fill the remaining airspace in the case just enough so that when the bullet is seated, the powder/filler is compressed about 1/8th of an inch.

Don't fill the rest of the case up with filler and then try to seat the projectile.

Put calipers on the projectile. I used a .515 diameter, same as I used in the smith carbine. When building the load, start with 23 grains black powder, then adid crem of wheat to a point you can just compress when seating the bullet. I just used my thumb and lots of beeswax in my lube.
Great. Thanks so much for your help!

Depending on the bullets you bought they probably weigh between 320 and 350 grains which is about right for a Maynard. 25 grains of 3f should give you a very accurate load

Back