• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thor Bullets Sizing Pack concerns / removing breechplugs for caliber sizing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kervinlee

32 Cal
Reaction score
I've been looking for non-lead bullets for hunting in California. I looked at the Thor Bullets website (Thor™ Bullets Sizing Pack) and they recommend a "Sizing Pack" of four bullets of different diameters to determine your bore size prior to ordering. Thor instructs one to remove the barrel's breechplug: 'To determine which bullet is best for your muzzleloader, start with an empty rifle, remove the breechplug and slide in the .500 bullet. If it slips easily down the bore, you then try the .501 and so on. When you find the diameter that requires about 20/30 ft./lbs. of force to push down the barrel (that is comparable to the resistance you get loading a standard sabot bullet), you have found the correct size for your rifle.

Now, I have a .50 caliber Thompson/Center Hawken and a .50 caliber CVA Mountain Rifle and I have never removed the breechplugs, and would rather not if at all possible, but I would do it if it is worth the effort. Does anyone have any useful knowledge or experience with this? Are the breechplug threads in these type of rifles tapered, like an NPT thread? I've seen breechplug wrenches in online videos; do I have to have one of those or will a standard combination wrench work? What about reinstalling the breechplug? I think I can check for proper parallel alignment between plug face and barrel flat with a dial indicator but does anyone have any tips or tricks? Thanks.

Don't remove the plug, drop a chunk of brass down bore. Test fit the bullet, and shake the barrel, muzzle down to remove the test piece. The brass will work as a slide hammer without harming the bore.
Great idea. Let me ask, to clarify: I should use a brass rod (chunk of brass) of a diameter smaller than the bore (maybe 7/16"?) and long enough to have enough mass to push the bullet out, maybe 8" - 10". I guess I don't need to ram the bullet down the bore more than an inch or two to test. Thanks, 44Bro.

In my opinion, it's a scam to sell you four bullets.

How much is shipping to ship four bullets?

How much of the shipping cost does Thor pocket?

Speedy metals is charging 68 dollars to ship 3 ounces of sheet brass. Does anyone really believe that any shipper in this country is charging 68 dollars to ship 3 ounces of product? Hell no they aren't. S/M, in my opinion, is pocketing the difference.

Sorry you have to go through this nonsensical BS. Seems like a saboted bullet would be the way to go as the sabot will take up a few thousandths of bore size. I did a quick search and found this outfit.
https://cuttingedgebullets.com/shop/cutting-edge-bullets/muzzleloader-bulletsThere are others. I hope you find what will work for you and good luck hunting.
Robby
I've yet to find a sabot that will work in a traditional 1:66 or 1:48 twist barrel.

They are fantastic in very fast twist rifling.

In the kind of rifles that don't get mentioned here.

I've yet to find a sabot that will work in a traditional 1:66 or 1:48 twist barrel.

They are fantastic in very fast twist rifling.

In the kind of rifles that don't get mentioned here.
I think my CVA Mountain Rifle is a 1:32" twist, I remember it was recommended to use only round balls. Anyone know the twist rate on a Thompson-Center .50 caliber Hawken?

I have a T/C 50 cal Encore and have used the Thor bullets in Colorado as I could not use sabots; they grouped very well for me and open up and cut like a guillotine. I believe I used the .502's.

Great idea. Let me ask, to clarify: I should use a brass rod (chunk of brass) of a diameter smaller than the bore (maybe 7/16"?) and long enough to have enough mass to push the bullet out, maybe 8" - 10". I guess I don't need to ram the bullet down the bore more than an inch or two to test. Thanks, 44Bro.
Got it in one shot.

The brass rod in the barrel is the way to go. If you have some round balls or bullets you are shooting in your gun just lay a ball on a hard surface and smack it with a hammer. That will flatten 2 sides and expand the ball to larger than your bore diameter. Lay it on the muzzle and smack it with a wood or rawhide mallet to drive in in flush. Tap it down a ways with a dowel and you've got a bore diameter slug, no need to buy anything.

Yeah, well you could also use a caliper to measure your bore. That still doesn't tell you which bullet is going to work the best, that is why they send samples. They are cheap so best to know which will work the best. Here is a recovered Thor from 80 yds shot through the lungs of WT, doesn't get much prettier, furthest petals are 1.25" apart

Attachments

• 20230103_180439.jpg
    20230103_180439.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230103_180449.jpg
    20230103_180449.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 0
Back