• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Matchlock long

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for this input, here is a few photos of down barrel, over all the gun is in good condition, have you any tips on how to clean up down the breech?
Dear Colm while the photos are not clear the cleaning of such forged breaches are best reached into the what ime calling the anti chamber that can be parallel or open behind I use a P' Hale rod Or a wire stainless brush that rag wont slip readily of and wash out best I can boil out dry then oily rag best as I can manage . What the original users did always suggests they just' forgot about it' ' Aggy Kel' Sort of 'What no one will see no one will mind '. I've just finished a M lock original Brl that had the long relatively straight breech area reduction anti chamber. Its 54 cal but I cant get a 1/4" rod end down past the 4" or so antechamber . P hale & others do or did make rods for the .22 pea rifles with wire & soft mops that can go right down to dry & oil at least .
Ive written' Aggy Kel 'I seem to recall its some word from Kipling that translates" it'l do." Some Sepoy or servant he describes as ' The Duke of Aggy Kel" Hanged if I know where its written but stuck in my mind (Its an old mind lots of recesses' ) .Trust that helps .
Regards Rudyard

Hi Colm

Thanks for the additional photos. As you can see, from the muzzle, the bore goes down to what might be called the narrow section. This narrow section, where the ball would sit might continue for another 1-1 1/2" into what's called the powder chamber at the end of the breech. This powder chamber is usually larger than the nominal bore size of the barrel. It's really an odd configuration that the barrel makers thought provided better long range accuracy than a typical smooth bore. I have no idea how the locals would be able to clean the narrow section and powder chamber. It's like having a barrel with three different sizes of bore. LOL And that's assuming they even bothered to try and clean the breech area after a number of rounds fired. It's a real mystery.

Keep a watch on my Thread "Torador Wall Gun" in this section. We are going to perform a cut-away of the breech of one of these barrels to study. Should be interesting.

Rick

Hi Colm

Thanks for the additional photos. As you can see, from the muzzle, the bore goes down to what might be called the narrow section. This narrow section, where the ball would sit might continue for another 1-1 1/2" into what's called the powder chamber at the end of the breech. This powder chamber is usually larger than the nominal bore size of the barrel. It's really an odd configuration that the barrel makers thought provided better long range accuracy than a typical smooth bore. I have no idea how the locals would be able to clean the narrow section and powder chamber. It's like having a barrel with three different sizes of bore. LOL And that's assuming they even bothered to try and clean the breech area after a number of rounds fired. It's a real mystery.

Keep a watch on my Thread "Torador Wall Gun" in this section. We are going to perform a cut-away of the breech of one of these barrels to study. Should be interesting. Sounds like vandelism to me There are numerous varients

Rick

Sounds like vandalism to me there are numerous variants What you propose is vandalism surely you cant justify that ?. Concerned . Rudyard

You will have noticed no swiveling pan cover Colm.
Some never used one, and the powder was pressed into the bottom of the pan and stuck. Some had roughened pans to help hold the powder in.
Others though, had a cover that slipped on sideways, so it fitted under the pan as well as over. Yours being nice and square cold have been this type.
Just noticed it Does have a kind of unusual rudimentary sideplate.... Id still say a pretty early one though.

Can you give the breech a rub with your thumb, Colm?
I am thinking there may be some koftgari still present.
I went a little further down from the breech with a bit brass cleaner and it's showing some real nice detailed etchings, I have a bit more to go, before we see what the end result is

Attachments

• IMG20240122201637.jpg
    IMG20240122201637.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20240122201644.jpg
    IMG20240122201644.jpg
  • IMG20240122201801.jpg
    IMG20240122201801.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20240122201808.jpg
    IMG20240122201808.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I went a little further down from the breech with a bit brass cleaner and it's showing some real nice detailed etchings, I have a bit more to go, before we see what the end result is
Hi Colm

Great !! That appears to be showing some beautiful silver kaftgari decoration. Keep going. LOL

Once the barrel is back in the stock, hold the long butt stock UNDER your arm pit and see if you get a sight picture from the rear sight to the front bead sight. Would be curious to know. Thanks.

Rick

I've read where there are certain cultural differences between Central/North and South India. I have a combination flintlock/matchlock musket, and I've inspected two other matchlocks only - all from South India. While the butt stocks are more rounded (than square) and the decoration done differently, all three have standard type cylinder bore smooth barrels. No unusual breech configurations.

Rick

Colm
That's wonderful!
More koftgari present than I would have hoped!

A couple of my barrels have bands or sections of such, but not as much as this.
Can you do a side by side picture for us?
How it was and how it is after a rub over?

It's not etching per se, the surface is straited with tiny cuts, and thin silver is hammered in.
Lime juice was used to degrease the surface before the silver was hammered in.
You will under magnification see these fine lines that the silver was tapped in to.

Colm
That's wonderful!
More koftgari present than I would have hoped!

A couple of my barrels have bands or sections of such, but not as much as this.
Can you do a side by side picture for us?
How it was and how it is after a rub over?

It's not etching per se, the surface is straited with tiny cuts, and thin silver is hammered in.
Lime juice was used to degrease the surface before the silver was hammered in.
You will under magnification see these fine lines that the silver was tapped in to.
Thanks for that Pukka, this shows a bit of before and after, some sections have the thin silver missing, and the cut out of the steel where it was hammered in is still slightly visible. I have a bit more cleaning to do on it and will post up all of it when complete. I appreciate all of the input to this thread from every member who contributed so far and I look forward to hearing more, the learning has been great.

Attachments

• IMG20240120155811.jpg
    IMG20240120155811.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20240120160011.jpg
    IMG20240120160011.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20240122201637.jpg
    IMG20240122201637.jpg
Back