• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Maryland ML Changes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Now the first early ML season was a Thursday through Saturday "season" for ML's, and was so successful that they extended it (antlerless however) to the following Monday through the next Saturday, for a total of 9 days. It's great. The bow hunters got the woods to themselves for deer hunting for 6 weeks prior to that.

It appears that the 9-day "early" ML season is being considered to allow modern firearms use. Apparently the deer harvest was low this year, and they don't want to buck the residents where there are large parks that have huge deer populations that are devastating the habitat and destroying neighborhood landscaping, and have NO HUNTING, and won't hold controlled hunts in these parks, bow or otherwise. So we have a major portion of the state are parks without hunting, PLUS there is "no hunting" on adjacent private lands because of county enacted "no hunting zones" plus the 100/150/300 rule that even applies to bow hunters.

It is unlawful to..., ..., Hunt, trap or shoot at wildlife within 150 yards of an occupied building or camp without written permission of the owner or occupant. For archery hunters this distance is 100 yards in Harford and Montgomery counties, and 50 yards in Carroll and Frederick counties.

..., Discharge a firearm within 300 yards of a public or nonpublic school while hunting. This prohibition only applies during school hours or when the building is occupied.
DUH which are the hours when people hunt...

So some nebbish (imho) has decided that more hunters in the woods for those 9 days will correct the problem. Nobody wants to open the normal "modern gun" season a week early and let it run for three weeks instead of the traditional two.

:youcrazy:

LD

Is this a "proposal"(read Bill or amendment) in the GA or is it being done by DNR?

I confess I have not followed changes in the past closely, but I seem to recall some changes made in the past required action by the General Assembly. I kind of think a modification like this might require a bill to amend the regulations.

DNR might be looking for someone to sponsor a bill to do this. We will need to look to the bill lists to see if it comes up.

Just looked didn't see anything filed yet.http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?id=M2&stab=01&pid=broadsubjpage&tab=subject3&ys=2016RS

I may have been incorrect about this kind of change needing a action by the GA.
Considering Caroline county commissioners are petitioning the DNR to change the deer season from shotgun slugs only to rifles for hunting it seems the DNR would handle this sort of change.

I can't speak for Georgia but in Arizona the Game & Fish department makes the hunting rules here. The legislature has nothing to do with it so no laws, law revisions or bills are needed.

We Arizona hunters set this up like this a long time ago to prevent "special interest groups", (read, anti hunters) from getting the lawmakers to pass laws that would harm the right to hunt and fish in the State.

Sorry Zonie, the GA I was referring to is Maryland's General Assembly, not the state of Georgia.

No problem Zonie, I should have remembered this is a international forum and not use a abbreviation for a local situation.

Back