• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Manufacturers of Ordnance Common Guns (TRADE GUNS)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am surprised at the number of emails received about tradeguns, manufacturers, barrel lengths, correct sitting foxs for the different companys and so on. I hope this is in the appropate section to answer everyone at once, if not please move Claude. Here we go folks this may belonger than you want, so you'll have to look for the answer to the question you asked.

This is not a complete list by any means, as mentioned before new items are found around the clock changing this list as well as other lists on other items.

MANUFACTURERS FROM AROUND THE WORLD

perioditems282.jpg

This is an example of some of the manufacturers of Ordnance Common Guns, some showing the use of the India-Pattern steel spring finial on the lock with Ordnance double line engraving and the two styles of swan-cocks found on these guns. The cocks where supplied to the lock makers in large numbers, with poor fit in lower quality guns. Most of the locks all show the typical “Crowned Broad Arrow” an Ordnance acceptance mark found on the largest percentage of contracted military and Indian arms.

MANUFACTURERS
(these are the most notable of the trade).

AMERICA (In 1807, the Missouri Fur Company and a year later the American Fur Company appeared and along with them came the trade items and NW guns from Pennsylvania).

DUTCH (arms didn't last long, as trading was not what was expected with the cheaper Holland guns). Schuckard & Gebhard, importers of the Dutch, Belgian guns are seen, but limited in numbers.

ENGLISH (traders appeared in the 1620's with guns, powder and shot for trade through the Hudson's Bay Company). Two Canadian trading companies labeled the gun “Hudson’s Bay Gun” and the “Mackinaw Gun”. Those being the Hudson’s Bay Company and the Mackinaw Company of Michilimackinac, but still manufactured in England. The Southwest Company is another firm name seen from company records.

FRENCH (dates of 1680 to 1730 for the oldest types being introduced into the new world. Later on the firm of Tulle was the gun of choice for French made guns).

SPANISH (arms had one firms name on the lock with another’s on the barrel, etc.)

A LIST OF SOME OF THE BETTER KNOWN MANUFACTURERS
BARNETT BARNETT & SONS
BLAIR BOND
BRAIZER F. BRAIZER
BROOK BROOKS
CH & S CO. DALES
DAWES(same manufacturer DAWSE) DAWSE
DERINGER DeHUFF
E & W BOND GEOTZ
GALTON GILL
GRICE KREPS
HAMPTON HOLLAND
HOLLIS HEYLIN
DICKERT HENRY & CO.
HEYLIN HENRY
HENRY & SON JONES
JOYNER KETLAND & CO.
KETLAND & ALLPORT KETLAND-WALKER CO.
GHRISKEY LEMAN
LOWNDES MORRIS & GRICE
MOXHAM PARKER
PARKER FIELD & CO. ROLFE
R & R SUTHERLAND WHEELER
R. PRITCHETT R & W HOLLIS
SANDWELL & JOYNER SANDWELL
SARGANT & WILSON SHARPE
SPENSER & CO. SPIES & CLARK
SUTHERLAND SUTHERLAND & ANDERSON
TRYON & SON TRYON & CO.
TRYON, MERRICK & CO. TULLE
CHANCE WISE & CO.
W. GRICE WHATELEY
WHEELER & SON R & W WILSON & CO.
WILSON & CO. W. CHANCE & CO.
W. CHANCE SON & CO. WILLETS & HOLDEN

This is just to show a few of the firms involved in the manufacturing of the North West gun, some firms opened additional companies using family names. Several of the joint venture’s were operating at the same time working on the same or different government contract.

For more detailed information on such activity contact The Museum of the Fur Trade.

Interesting details one might keep in mind that the Tulle armoury/town was not envolved in making trade guns, at least untill they lost the contract with the crown for the types they made prior to the 1740's

Belgian guns are seen, but limited in numbers.
I don't know what time period you're referring to, but my research from examining originals leads me to believe guns made in Liege and Maastrich may out number all other trade guns combined in the period before 1765. The French were probably trading guns made in the low countries more than they were making their own for trade. I also am beginning to believe a certain amount of English traded Carolina guns were Belgian made also.

Back