• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Manhattan pistol age?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has stagecoach scene on the cylinder. Is it crazy to want to shoot this? The cylinder lock up, but doesn't advance on its own. I see no serial numbers. It does have Dec. 27, 1859 patent date.

Attachments

• 16942790085405016736001261548846.jpg
    16942790085405016736001261548846.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 16942790446995388389203761326721.jpg
    16942790446995388389203761326721.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 16942791036634339007982284603950.jpg
    16942791036634339007982284603950.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 16942792476294010975359331366342.jpg
    16942792476294010975359331366342.jpg
  • 16942793192849110088080412319741.jpg
    16942793192849110088080412319741.jpg
I would really do your homework on when it was made and potential value before I would shoot it. That said, I know little about Manhattans… there must be an expert on here somewhere…

I would really do your homework on when it was made and potential value before I would shoot it. That said, I know little about Manhattans… there must be an expert on here somewhere…
That's why I'm here Sam. I have found so far that it's a Pocket Model Series II made between Feb1860 to Dec 1862.

With antique fire arms in general for me there a few things to consider. Number one is it mechanically sound, next is there parts to repair it, then value as a piece of history. That is completely subjective and isn’t based on dollars. Would shooting it be that important to risk losing it. With tens of thousands of good replicas of many different types on the market but a declining number of original guns how necessary is taking the chance ? I’d keep it to enjoy for its historic value then when that is satisfied sell it and buy two or three replicas to shoot.

I think Andy52 has one of those, and he generally shoots what he has. Hopefully he checks in here.
Nice piece btw…
what I had was an 1862 Metropolitan, which was a clone of the colt of the same year. I didn't shoot it however it just too nice to that too.
I also considered selling it but again it was just too pristine to put in the wild. so, in the end I donated it to the Civil war museum at Jefferson Barracks. any of you can see it there with my name tag as the donor.
139451-IMGP1134.jpg

Last edited:
Did they have a big theft of pistols a long time ago there? Something about someone left a door unlocked, and several pistols were gone the next day. I know someone pretending to be a E-7 drove off with a hum- vee years ago. Used to be able to drive the deuce and a half straight to where we needed to go, then we had to dismount and show ID’s….

I Have a Manhattan Pocket very nicely made they are if sans trigger guard evidently broken off its brass . looks copy of the Colt just minor features differ , better 'at rest' plan for one . 6329 number on frame 38623 on the short barrel .cylinder seems burnt a ovel like scene hard to discern. I think I have a long loading lever would swop for a shorter one that fits the shorter barrel rough old ' brown gun' but still crisp & nicely made came out of Darke County Ohio not that it adds much to it . I had friend's in Darke County .
Rudyard

Did they have a big theft of pistols a long time ago there? Something about someone left a door unlocked, and several pistols were gone the next day. I know someone pretending to be a E-7 drove off with a hum- vee years ago. Used to be able to drive the deuce and a half straight to where we needed to go, then we had to dismount and show ID’s….
Haven't heard that one.

I had a Manhattan .31 that looked just like that when I was in college. Got it from a friend of my Dad's who had it hanging on a hook over the fireplace in his hunting camp. When I first saw it, it was a revolver-shaped lump of rust with Rosewood grips and the cylinder hadn't been turned in many years. I put penetrating oil on the grip screw and after a while was able to remove the screw and then the grips. Two pieces of the mainspring fell out. Huh! I put the rest of the gun in a flat surgical pan and covered it with Coca-Cola. Let that stand overnight then poured it off and put fresh Coca=Cola on it.
Did that for a couple of days, checking from time to time. After a while, I was able to carefully brush away rust with an old toothbrush. Did that for a while, continuing the Coke Bath. Finally discovered there was an engraved revolver under all the corrosion and some of the finish was still left. When there was no more rust, I was able to disassemble the gun, scrub the bore, clean and oil the parts, and take stock. I got a replacement mainspring from Dixie Gun Works and installed it, then put the whole thing back together. It was functional, but I never did try to shoot it. Kept it in a gun case at my parent's house while I was in school and then when I was in the Army my Dad gave it to one of my cousins.

I suspect it won't cycle because the hand spring is broken, if the internals resemble a Colt. Just a guess, I know nothing about Manhattans.

Added: If it were mine, I would clean it and oil it to prevent deterioration, then make it the centerpiece in a shadow box about Dad. Shooting it means you trust 160 years of cleaning procedures to preserve the chamber walls from rust, etc. It's earned a rest.

Last edited:
I suspect it won't cycle because the hand spring is broken, if the internals resemble a Colt. Just a guess, I know nothing about Manhattans.

Added: If it were mine, I would clean it and oil it to prevent deterioration, then make it the centerpiece in a shadow box about Dad. Shooting it means you trust 160 years of cleaning procedures to preserve the chamber walls from rust, etc. It's earned a rest.
Yeah, but as Neil Young says, "Rust Never Sleeps."

Back