• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Man Killed in

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Man Killed in Cannon Explosion
Bethel, Vermont - July 3, 2006

A holiday tradition turned deadly in Bethel. Colby Madden, 20, was killed Saturday when several families gathered to set off a homemade cannon.

"The rear portion of the cannon exploded and sent shrapnel quite a distance to either side of the cannon and the victim was hit by some of the shrapnel and died from the injuries sustained," explained Vt. State Police Sgt. Todd Ellingsworth.

Police say the cannon was two years old, and had been shot hundreds of times. The accident happened at a home, but police will not say exactly where.

Vermont's Own WCAX Channel 3 News[url] http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=5110436&nav=4QcS[/url]

===========================================================================

Pipe Cannon Bursts, Kills Bethel Man
Bystander 30 Feet Away Hit by Metal Fragments
By Carolyn Lorié
Valley News Staff Writer

Bethel -- Colby Caleb Madden, a 20-year-old Bethel man, was killed Saturday when a three-foot-long, homemade steel-pipe cannon exploded, hitting him in the neck and wrist.

Another person, whom police declined to name, received minor injuries.

Detective Sgt. Todd Illingworth of the Vermont State Police called the explosion a “tragic accident” and said it was under investigation. The cannon had been firing “wooden dowels,” Illingworth said. No arrests have been made.

Madden was a 2004 graduate of Whitcomb High School in Bethel and lived with his family. “He was just an absolutely awesome and very much loved person,” said his mother, Pamela Drury, by telephone yesterday.

The accident occurred in Bethel near 1720 MacIntosh Hill Road, the home of Randy and Pam Trask. Madden worked with Randy and his son, Mike Trask, on various carpentry jobs. According to Pam Trask, a group of friends gathered in a nearby field on Saturday afternoon to fire the cannon, which belonged to someone in the group, whose identity she would not disclose. She said she heard a second shot a short time after the first, then someone from the group knocked on her door and reported that an ambulance had been called for Madden, who was hurt.

Trask said she drove to the field, where she found Madden unconscious and bleeding from the wrist, neck and mouth. She said she was told that Madden had been standing about 30 feet from the cannon. An ambulance rushed Madden to Gifford Medical Center in Randolph, where he was pronounced dead at 1:30 p.m.

“It is the worst thing that ever happened to any of us,” said Trask.

Illingworth said the cannon was made of steel pipe about 2 inches in diameter, and that when the rear of the device exploded, fragments shot out in a 30-foot radius.

Hartford Fire Department Lt. Chris Dube said that, although he has never dealt with anyone being injured by a homemade cannon, he hears about such cases every year. “The people who make them are probably not qualified to make something of that magnitude,” he said. “That's stuff you don't play with. It’s extremely dangerous to begin with, and even more so when it’s homemade.”

Nonfatal injuries related to fireworks are rising, according to an analysis by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, which last week released figures showing an estimated 10,800 children and adults were treated for fireworks-related injuries last year, up from 9,600 in 2004.

Fifty-five percent of those were under 20; most injuries also occurred on the Fourth of July. Thirty-six people were killed by fireworks between 2000 and 2005, the commission said.

Trask said Madden was an expert on classic cars, an avid dirt bike rider and a “free spirit, who did whatever he wanted to do.”

Whitcomb Principal Bill Elberty remembered Madden as an independent student and steadfast friend. “He was a pretty incredible young man,” said Elberty.

Elberty recalled that Madden, during his sophomore year, worked 40 hours a week in construction, in addition to his schooling, and while he sometimes struggled to sit still in the classroom, he was “extremely bright and capable.”

Elberty and Trask said Madden also was devoted to his family, which includes two brothers, Matthew and Jordan, and a sister, Carrisa. When Madden's older brother, Matthew, was injured in truck accident in November 2004, Madden did what he could to support his family through the difficult period, Elberty and Trask said.

Madden is also survived by his father, John Madden of North Hartland.

Valley News staff writer Peter Jamison and THE ASSOCIATED PRESS contributed to the report.
[url] http://www.vnews.com/07042006/3181740.htm[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
My deepest regrets for the lost of life in this event. But, once again it illustrates that plumbing pipe does not a cannon make. :(

CP

Being next door I read the news on the third but waited out of respect incase it was one of us who had been hurt :(

Yeh I guess we can conclude that pipe does not make a good cannon but that does not bring this man back from a tragic accident.

I am glad you posted this and not I, I am still upset about it but I hope his death will be remembered by anyone here thinking they can make a real cannon from a pipe.

This does not help me convincing the wife that cannons are safe :(

I hate reporting these types of accidents. They only serve to spread grief and fuel anti sentiments. I can only hope that by these postings other will get the message that pipe and gun powder of any sort is a deadly combination.

This was NOT a cannon accident, it was a pipe bomb in the making from the word go. Cannons, when the proper precedure is followed, are a fantastic hobby.

Ask your wife if she trusts you to be mature enough to handle the responsibility of being a cannon owner. But, before you do that, make sure you educate yourself thoroughly as to what that responsibility is.

CP

I agree it has no relevance to cannons.

Claypipe said:
This was NOT a cannon accident, it was a pipe bomb in the making from the word go. Cannons, when the proper precedure is followed, are a fantastic hobby. CP

I agree. When I was young my father made a " cannon" out of a short piece of 2 1/2 inch pipe, and an endcap, mounted on a swivel to a 2 x 4, for the SOLE prupose of allowing us to fire off firecrackers safely! Nothing was put down the barrel . Firecrackers were limited to the small 2 inch long by 1/4" diameter variety, the ones sold in packs. By shooting them off in this ' cannon", we got a louder sound, we protected our hands, and fingers, and we took a long time to go through a pack of 24 of the things on the 4th of July.

We did throw M-80s and Cherry Bombs into empty garbage cans, without any problems, and the concusive sound was terrific. But, Dad made it clear that we were not going to be making a bomb, and that niether garbage cans or water pipe was strong enough to be stuffing projectiles of any kind into them.

Its always tragic to hear of someone being injured in a fireworks accident. I had a " lady finger " go off in my fingers as I was going to throw it, and had no feeling in the tips of two fingers and my thumb for a couple of days. I figure I learned my lesson fairly cheaply. It is much worse to hear that someone has been killed. Our prayers have to go out to the family. But, what they had built and the way it was being used was no cannon. It was a very badly constructed pipe bomb, that finally worked too well. Where people get the idea that if something looks like a cannon, it can be treated like a cannon is beyond me. There is a lot of junk stuff made for lawn ornamentation that should never be loaded and fired. Add to this the homemade stuff, and we probably will always have incidents like this.

Please consider, each of us, going to your local high school, and offering to talk about cannon, and firearm and fireworks safety to the young people. I can't think of any other way that shooters can help keep this kind of thing from happening. YOu may get turned down, and then you may have to talk to the school board about the issue to convince them to tell their superintendent or prinicpal to put on a safety program that includes talking about manufactured items, as well as home made devices. If there is a bomb squad in the area, they can put together a fine demonstration, and probably provide speakers, too.

Back