• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making Stumpys Moose Snot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEW222

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi there yet again. So today I got lucky as I saw a sign of 'Honey For Sale'. So I pulled in and saw a younger gentleman and had asked if he happened to be a bee keeper. He told me that indeed he was. So, I proceeded to ask him if he happened to have any beeswax as well, and also if it was for sale. He did have a lot of bees wax, but it was not for sale. He told me that he gets next to nothing for it and that instead, he was keeping all of it to build his coffin for when he meets his demise and as well to save his children some money! Interesting. So, with that said, he then asked me why I had wanted his beeswax, and I explained to him that I had wanted to make a patch lubricant for muzzleloading. He then asked how much I had needed so I told him how much I needed for the recipe posted here and he then said that he would help me out. I had appreciated it very much and now I have this beeswax. Anyways, now on with the question in which I am here.

The recipe I have is this:
Stumpy's Moose Snot

Beeswax 2 oz.
Castor Oil 8 oz.
Murphy's Oil Soap 1 oz.

Also, here castor oil is not hard to come by, but rather expensive at the pharmacy, and trust me, I have tried to find it cheaper as we use it in fuel for older radio control engines. Anyways, I have read a lot of substituting the castor oil for olive oil. Is this ok to do, as I do have that readily available, and if so, would it be at the same ratio as above using castor? And lastly the wax is in a solid state, oil in liquid. Do I use 2 oz of solid beeswax : 8 oz of olive oil : 1 oz of Murphys Oil Soap? or do I have to boil the beeswax then measure out 2 ounces of liquid? Thank you again in advance for any help. I am learning rather quickly and very greatful for it and having this much knowledge available.

I just use olive oil and beeswax i melt the waxcarefuly in the tin I will keep it in then add the oil about 50 50 if its too thick i melt and add oil too thin add wax

Thank you both for the help and advice. I am now looking forward to making this stuff.

I've found peanut oil works as good as caster oil, its also a high temp oil, and is a lot less costly.
Hermit

One of the interesting things you'll find when you melt the beeswax is, it expands a LOT when it melts.

I mention this because it's a good idea to use a larger pan than you might initially planed on using.

(As a side note, the thermostat in most cars use wax inside the cylinder that opens and closes the valve. The valve disk can move as much as 5/16" from fully closed to fully open and that movement is caused by temperatures below the boiling point of water.
160° to 180°F is a common temperature for the valves to fully move to the open position.)

Never played much with olive oil so you're on your own.

I get castor oil at the pharmacy. $2.64 for 6 oz. I got a bunch at $1.89 on a sale a few years back.

If you can find it at hobby stores SIG has castor oil (for two-stroke fuel) for $7.99 a pint (16 oz).

Thank you. I wish our hobby shops still carried Sig fuel! They stopped a few years ago. I had recently inquired about getting castor oil in and was immediately shown a synthetic/castor blend at a mix of 80% synthetic to 20% castor. No interest to getting it in. I will be heading to Grand Forks in a couple of months and will pick up some then.
As for now, i gotta get a pot to make my stuff in as well as I noticed a few body parts and such in my wax that i have to get rid of somehow. Being right on the bottom, i am just thinking of cutting it out and discarding it. Should still leave me with about 3 oz of wax. Stay tuned, as I will hopefully get to this on Friday night.

IMO, a little bee in the beeswax won't hurt a thing.

A leg here, a foot there, a well used eye and a wing.... I wouldn't want to eat it but a bullet will never notice it.

Who knows? The ghost of bee might be watching with his friends when you touch off a shot.

"WOW! Did you see that Hermie? Buzzy? Did you see that?

My wing just went supersonic, just like it did when it was flying me.

Seriously guys. That wing and I used to break the sound barrier all the time.
Did I ever tell you about the time.... Hey. Where are you going?
Come back.

Guys? " :grin:

Well thanks for making me laugh. That was good, and it sounds like a lot of thought went into that and I appreciate it. But if i do read it correctly, a bug wing, leg, or antenna or two will be fine? It is not full, just like you said a couple of body parts and no complete bodies or such. Thanks for letting me know it is still alright to use.

i gotta get a pot to make my stuff in as well as I noticed a few body parts and such in my wax that i have to get rid of somehow.

Basket strainer, cheese cloth, or just melt it....everything will settle to the bottom and you can pour it off or spoon it out....No need to make this complicated...

Just in case you have never melted wax before.......You should use a double boiler.....if you do use direct heat keep it very low and never take your eye off the pot....not even for a second without removing it from the heat. If it begins to smoke, spontaneous ignition is imminent...have a lid ready to snuff it out....

I use a small tin can for the wax inside a larger tin can with water in it.

Though in the interest of domestic tranquility I do it outdoors on a Coleman Stove. Beeswax smells GREAT but an accidental spill would cause unspeakable horrors to be inflicted on me.

I also plug the holes where the hinges are with strips of aluminum foil if I use hinged mint tins. I learned right off the molten mix will run right out of those openings quickly.

Thank you. Now to make a bowl of soup and a bowl of stew from the canned goods section! Or i guess I could hit the dollar store and buy a bowl. :thumbsup:

Ok. Update time. I just finished making a batch of moose snot wanna be. I took the recipe and slightly altered it and used extra virgin olive oil as I do not have castor available, and wanted to make it tonight. I did go out and buy cheesecloth and a strainer today as well as a stainless steel bowl to mix it in. I set up as a double boiler and melted the 2 oz of bees wax then poured in the mix of 8 oz of extra virgin olive oil and 1 oz of Murphys Oil Soap. I started to stir it as per instructions and when all solids were melted from the mix, I removed it from the heat. I let it sit for a couple of minutes while I ran around looking for a container to pour it in. I settled for a small sour cream container. Anyways, the picture here is of my mix approximately 45 minutes after it was poured. It is still warm to the touch, and still slightly soft, but how am I to know as it is my first batch and have never seen or used it before. :grin: Anyways, thank you all for the help you have provided along the way.

wpnU55B.jpg

Just an FYI, and this is very much a do your own thing activity, I've gotten the best results from my olive oil, beeswax, oil soap mixture by stirring continuously while the mixture cools. I also add the Murphy's Oil Soap (when I add it, I don't always) after I take the mix off the heat. Not sure what, if any, effect the heat has on the soap.

Have fun with it. Nice thing is, you can mix it to suit your needs.

Latest posts

Back