• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making a shot measure

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weum817

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I don't ever seem to have any luck searching for past topics on here. I'm sure it has been discussed several times, but I am looking to make a shot measure or two and just looking for pics or ideas. I planned on drilling some deer antler but was just wanting some other ideas.
I am also wondering how you guys carry your shot?
Thanks

My favorite shot measure is whitetail antler that also serves as the plug for my pound of shot pouch (12 shots).

HPIM1205.jpg

HPIM1204.jpg

For powder measures - save the thigh bones from your turkey this thanksgiving. Already hollow, light and easy to form. I add maple or cherry wood caps and the staples are "iron" forged from clothes hangers pounded square and twisted with a propane torch.

IM000642.jpg

Horn3.jpg

Period? I don't care. I raised the turkeys and they are significant to me.

And the antler measures are good too.

DSCN0156.jpg

weum817 said:
...looking to make a shot measure or two and just looking for pics or ideas.

For shot measures I do the quick and easy versions for trials, then sooner or later make a better replacement.

I drill into the end of a 2x2, drill diameter varying with the gauge of the shotgun. Run it in, measure, run it a little deeper until the depth is right. Whittle away the excess wood around the hole to make it thin and round, then hack it off the length of 2x2. Done. Takes about half an hour.

Trouble is, even though I see them as temporary, some of mine are now 20 years old! :rotf:

I have an array of self-made pouches and rigid leather flasks. One key- a pound of shot, enough for a dozen 1 1/4 oz shot loads, measures out to be about the size of your average lemon. Don't get carried away and make a honking big pouch or flask, cuzz odds are you won't need it.

colorado clyde said:
A hollow shot pouch plug for a measure”¦..Brilliant!

Is there any reason you don't just use your powder measure?

I use more shot than powder by volume.

"More powder, less lead.
Up close, wide spread.

Less powder, more lead.
Shoots far, kills dead."

I figured that was the answer, I should have said other than”¦”¦.

I use the same measure and just fill to different levels. But a dedicated measure would be more accurate.

I use what has to be one of the least 'authentic' things around. It is simply a section of copper plumbing pipe with the end squashed in a vice. A hole is drilled for the thong, corners rounded off and voila, you have a measure. After very little use it is gunky and patina-ed enough to look OK at ronny, or elsewhere.
brassmeasure.jpg
[/URL][/img]

With the copper tube measures I make the powder measure with one lanyard hole and the shot measure with double lanyard holes. That helps to keep from loosing count on what I'm dumping when down the double barrels.

Pre roll them in paper tubes like the ones civil war reenactors use and carry them in my belt pouch.

I've used both of these approaches...the paper carriers work very well...the downside is they need to be kept dry in the field, particularly the ones for powder charges.
And PC/HC aside, for the past several years I've settled on the weatherproof vials for sheer practicality...drop 3-4 in a jacket pocket and take a walk in the squirrel woods.

071507PaperShotReloads-Process.jpg

5ML10MLVialscroppedresized.jpg

Roundball, I like the little vials. Where did you get them? Do the lids screw on or are they friction fit?

I made measures out of 1/2" ID plastic pipe. I glued a 1/2" length of 1/2" dowel rod in one end, (I used Gorilla glue), cut off at the appropriate length, at a 45 degree angle. I used the smallest screw eyes, I could find, and screwed them into the rod, to tie a cord to. I sanded all of the writing off the tube and they look like bone. Keep yer powder dry.......Robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I carry my shot in a pouch that has an adjustable Irish spout. I carry my powder in a horn with an antler powder measure. All of my wads and cards are carried in my bag. My caps are in a straight cap holder on a lanyard around my neck. It's all right there handy and ready to go whenever I need to load my gun.

Deputy Dog said:
Roundball, I like the little vials. Where did you get them? Do the lids screw on or are they friction fit?

I made measures out of 1/2" ID plastic pipe. I glued a 1/2" length of 1/2" dowel rod in one end, (I used Gorilla glue), cut off at the appropriate length, at a 45 degree angle. I used the smallest screw eyes, I could find, and screwed them into the rod, to tie a cord to. I sanded all of the writing off the tube and they look like bone. Keep yer powder dry.......Robin :wink:

Pretty sure you can google Lanes Tubes or Lanes Powder Tubes and find em or some just like em. Or use email.

[email protected]

Least that's how I got the ones I got.

I bought mine from Lane. They have screw on lids...work like a champ. :wink:

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_100_353&products_id=7866

I have two shot snakes that have these type chargers. They are worn like a double shoulder holster rig. Mine are original hardware but I copied the leather parts from the originals. The old leather was shot.

IF you are handy you can make these English type dispensers, I did for steel shot. I tend to use cut off 20 ga shot shell hulls for measures.

Back