• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Makin' it look old

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atki

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Curious if anyone knows how to make pewter look old. Real old.

In the mood of sharing, here is something that I do know. If you want to make brass look old, and cruddy, here is a fun trick. (I do this with brass beads, tacks and so forth) Put the brass into a aluminum pan. Has to be aluminum. Pour in some laundry bleach, like Clorox. Do this out door. Just enough bleach to cover the brass. It will start bubbling, frothing and getting hot. Wait till all the actions stops, about 30 minutes. Rinse and you should have some really scuzzy looking brass. Oh yeah, you only get to use the pan once. It will only work one time per pan.

WB

I've darn near made a salad out them. I have soaked
them in lemon juice, mayonasse, pickle juice and now there sitting in mustard. The mustard is doing something, but not much. Pewter is 90-95% tin, so something must work on tin.

Rub some aquafortis on them. Then buff back with 0000 steel wool. You have to use stuff that has a percentage of Nitric acid in it tho. I make my own with stong nitric acid mixed in water and add degreased steel wool or any iron filings. It'll make your pewter black as night...
CAUTION: THIS IS HIGHLY CORROSIVE AND CAN CAUSE SEVERE BURNS...
Hope this helps, Nifeman

Accidently put a pewter cup in the dishwasher :redface: Came out looking dull and "antiquey" Maybe this might work for your pewter??

Back