• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

makin a smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadHeart

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Would it be possable to take a CVA bobcat and have the riflin bored out of the barrel to make a smoothbore? Would it still be safe to fire after that? I don't ever shoot it anymore and have wanted a smoothbore to squirrel hunt with, also here in New Jersey you can't hunt with a muzzleloader during shotgun season unless it it a smoothbore.

Sir,
Save the gun for a beginner and buy a smoothbore. You'll be much happier. There might also be an option of buying a smoothbore barrel for your gun from the manufacturer, and trading the barrel as needed.

Having a rifled barrel reamed smooth is an expensive proposition. Reamers of the correct diameter are expensive, and rarely used, so IF you can find someone with the correct tools, the operation will probably cost more than a replacement barrel.

IMHO, you will be much better off rebarreling your existing gun, or buying a good smoothbore.
J.D.

As far as hunting in NJ, you can use a rifled barrel muzzleloader during the regular shotgun season. It's only if you want to hunt the permit shotgun season that you have to have a smooth bore. There is a chart on page 30 of the Hunting digest that lay's it all out. Wasn't sure which one you were talking about but I figured I would throw it out there in case it helps.

Cost to ream a barrel in my shop runs $50 to $60. Most of the time I'm reaming old barrels to install liners.

jgunn286, Thanks for the info. I am still tryin to figure out these jersey regs.

Back