• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Maker of this rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustyh

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought this flintlock rifle a few years ago the owner didn't know/remember the maker. It has a 45cal GR Douglas barrel with a makers mark stamped on the upper side with a dimond with a "D" and 97, the engraved lock has Spain stamped on the back of the plate, silver mounted maple stock. The owner I bought it from said he thought the maker was from Texas.
SAM_0560.jpg

SAM_0561.jpg

SAM_0559.jpg

SAM_0562.jpg

How does it shoot?
Those Spanish flintlocks can be very dissapointing.
I would replace the lock.
Otherwise, not bad looking. I can't help with identity. However, I have trouble accepting that Curly would put an import El Cheapo lock on something he built.

It shoots better than I do. :haha: The lock can be finiky at times like every other flinter I have messed with but it normally works ok. Is there a drop in replacement lock that would fit. The only thing I don't care for is that I have to set the trigger before the hammer will stay at full cock.

Nice looking rifle, actually. I do agree that the lock should be replaced. L&R makes replacement locks. Even if you can't find a "drop in" it should only need minor fitting.

Rifleman1776 said:
How does it shoot?
Otherwise, not bad looking. I can't help with identity. However, I have trouble accepting that Curly would put an import El Cheapo lock on something he built.
You misunderstood.
I simply noted that the triggers were old North Star.
They came up in a conversation just a few weeks ago at Friendship. The two guys talking about them really liked them. Apparently they were about the cheapest available at the time and outperformed many more expensive triggers.

Randy Johnson said:
Rifleman1776 said:
How does it shoot?
You misunderstood.
I simply noted that the triggers were old North Star.
They came up in a conversation just a few weeks ago at Friendship. The two guys talking about them really liked them. Apparently they were about the cheapest available at the time and outperformed many more expensive triggers.

OK. Good.
Make a paperweight out of that lock.
Good luck.

Track sells a drop in L&R replacement lock for the CVA Kentucky lock that you have. It would be a definite improvement. BTW, that is a nice looking rifle. It appears to be a well made piece :thumbsup: . A lock upgrade would certainly increase it's value. Good luck. - John

Latest posts

Back