• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mainspring vise

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My heretic is coming back out again.

What's wrong with using needle-nosed vise grips? They do the job too.

wm
In my experience with trying to use Vise-Grips, they do a poor to worse than poor job if we are talking about a leaf style mainspring. If we are talking about a feather spring(frizzen spring), locking pliers can work OK but only if they are used with just enough compression to remove the tension of the spring against the frizzen cam.

Speaking of a mainspring, they only make contact with one small area of the bendable part of the leaf and rarely will compress it enough for the end of the spring that is against the tumbler spur or connected to the stirrup link enough to remove all of the tension.
If one tries to tighten the pliers enough to actually remove the pressure it can result in a broken spring.

A good mainspring vise on the other hand, spreads out the load on the lower leaf applying the force much closer to the working end of the spring. Also, because it is making contact with the lower leaf in two, spread out areas, the stresses where the vise touches the lower spring are greatly reduced making breaking the spring much less likely.

In anticipation of my Kibler build, I'm accumulating the necessary tools and I figured I need a mainspring vise. Looking on TOW they list two, one being twice the price. Is it worth the extra $$ or is the less expensive, less fancy, one adequate to remove main, and frizzen springs? Alternatively, is there a better one available elsewhere?

TIA.
I make springs for some folks that can't find a spring. And it seems that half the time I end up using some kind of reworked vice grips. Funny, but some times you just can't get a spring vice to get in a tight setting. I have been making springs for over 40 years and still am learning. And if you want to, old files work great as a good metal to work with. Just Don't Use files made in China, just crappy metal and will crack even while annealing and forming. Brownell sells spring stock, but you have to buy a package that has sizes that you may never use up.

Bought the vise about 1994ish, when we got the first flinter. Dont think Ive used it 5 times since then. Good ole Dixie Gun Works bought.

Back